6.5" lift...zj steering ???'s

so, what would need to be done to get the zj steering arms in? would they just bolt into the comanche?

my understanding is it is a draglink/tierod flip conversion and is a good idea. but what about the tapered hole that the ends are supposed fo fit into?

I was thinking that a comanche one would just be flip-able. you'd have to cut the passenger side, rotate 180*, reweld with reinforcement, and simply flip the other end over and readjust your alignment. would that be adviseable?

to flip it they drill out the hole bigger because it tapers and weld in an insert

great!

I will pick some up tomorrow and then proceed to flip it on monday or tuesday. just gonna use the stock system for now as I don't have much $$$ and I already owe the guy at the junkyard I go to so I don't wanna jack him around...

I'll reinforce the linkages tho with angle iron I think

Maybe it's just me, but I do not like the bend in the ZJ tierod. Maybe I've just bent to many stock units and a bit hesitant, or maybe I have some logic behind it... thats for you to decide. ;)

Without a flip insert, you will still be under the knuckle on the drivers side. The pass side is knuckle over from the factory anyways.

I just purchased the motion offroad tierod and flip kit. $160 for the kit seams very reasonable to me. I don't have it installed yet, but should in the next week or so. Here is a pic of it sitting with other parts waiting to be installed.

http://www.motionoffroad.com/suspension.html

100_1376.jpg

Without a flip insert, you will still be under the knuckle on the drivers side. The pass side is knuckle over from the factory anyways.

passenger side is under the knucke on this one. drivers side is under as well :hmm: so idk....

passenger side is under the knucke on this one. drivers side is under as well :hmm: so idk....

Bah your right...

Sorry, been working on my XJ all day and I've got the Teraflex knuckle on it..

I think I might just pull the knuckles, and steering linkage off my ZJ, and swap it all over to the MJ's axle, and take the MJ's stuff, and put it on the zj, before I sell the ZJ. I haven't even driven the piece of garbage since like 3 weeks ago, been using the WJ lately :D

don't forget that if u flip the steering you need to raise the sway bar mounts on the axle.

and Lead not follow does that kit only flip the drivers side

heh, why would I need to move them? I'll just get rid of them!

j/k

I just purchased the motion offroad tierod and flip kit. $160 for the kit seams very reasonable to me. I don't have it installed yet, but should in the next week or so. Here is a pic of it sitting with other parts waiting to be installed.

That tie rod looks huge! The only problem I see with that kit is that you still are using the stock TRE's. Then again, they are cheap enough to carry spares - but fixing one on a trail is a biiotch and a half. :cry:

I'm running the beefy v8 ZJ set up and have no complaints (so far...) Everything was bigger, and bigger is usually better right? :cheers:

PICT9205r.jpg

more pics: http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... c&start=30

That tie rod looks huge! The only problem I see with that kit is that you still are using the stock TRE's. Then again, they are cheap enough to carry spares - but fixing one on a trail is a biiotch and a half. :cry:

Yeah it's 100% total beef!

You can use the HD Moogs on it. I haven't had a problem running the Moog's in the past so I'm really not worried about it. I'm just tired of bending the tierod itself, so I opted for this one. And for the price compared to others on the market it's hard to not pass it up!

Here is a pic of the HD Moog units. As you can see, they are defiantly a bit beefier than the "stock" ones.

DSCF0115.jpg

DSCF0113.jpg

Sure, that'll work. Other than they're 'wrong' IMHO. You want a panhard (track) bar to be mounted as high as possible on both ends, and as close to flat as possible, and on the same plane as the axle (perpendicular to the frame). The 'high as possible' part is important for roll axis.

Anywho, you really have to try it and see. Sometime the drag link and track bar are pretty decent without changing it. And it's always kinda weird with an inverted-Y setup. That and the front suspension geometry is always kinda kooky.

Sure, that'll work. Other than they're 'wrong' IMHO. You want a panhard (track) bar to be mounted as high as possible on both ends, and as close to flat as possible, and on the same plane as the axle (perpendicular to the frame). The 'high as possible' part is important for roll axis.

Anywho, you really have to try it and see. Sometime the drag link and track bar are pretty decent without changing it. And it's always kinda weird with an inverted-Y setup. That and the front suspension geometry is always kinda kooky.

so maybe leave it but do a front end alignment?

I'm NOT putting a drop pitman arm on this thing

Get it all hooked up and take a quick visual. It'll probably be decent, and then you can go get an alignment. If it drives bad, take a closer look at things.

what is this about GOING to get an alignment?

hehe, I'm doing it myself. well, this month I am as it won't be on the road until mid-august (will be ready for badlands tho)

Oh, right. Most people seem to not do them themselves?

Actually, I had one done once because it cost me $19. And them seemed way better than trying to un-seize all the TREs.

lol, I've done it a few times (after replacing cv shafts on the v-dubs, and even on the 3800 and my bro's truck etc.) and had great success.

its fairly straightforward to do. tho I'm not gonna explain it right now

Oh, right. Most people seem to not do them themselves?

Actually, I had one done once because it cost me $19. And them seemed way better than trying to un-seize all the TREs.

lol, I've done it a few times (after replacing cv shafts on the v-dubs, and even on the 3800 and my bro's truck etc.) and had great success.

its fairly straightforward to do. tho I'm not gonna explain it right now

I've tried aligning my hunk of junk and I think I just made it worse. I don't mind paying somebody to keep me from flying around the road! :roll: