89 MJ 4.0 Ticking noise during acceleration

How bad of a tick?? What brand/weight oil?? On my xj the tick was a bent rod, on my mj it was cuz I switched from liquid dinosaur to synthetic even though they were both 10-30w x.x usually an exhaust leak sounds like a puffing?? If that makes sense?? A way to "probe" the engine is a long screwdriver like a stethoscope to listen for ticks and bearing wear. Easiest way to tell if you have an exhaust leak is to stick your head under there. While it's still cold feel around for possible cancer spots then while it's running try and listen for leaks. Good luck!

Yes it does get worse with more gas, I'm using 10w-40 mobile one full synthetic, wear should I stick the screw driver to the block?

To listen for tick I put it against the valve cover probing each cylinder. For pulley wear ( I had a bad idler and couldn't figure out the screening until I did this) CAREFULLY probe parts nearest you should still be able to tell by varying distances to triangulate the culprit! While it may very well be an exhaust leak, you said it was a tick so it's always an easy way to diagnose and only takes a couple mins and a long (woodhandle works best) screwdriver. If you don't hear it slamming (Should be pretty noticeable just like tapping on a stethoscope lol) the valve cover, check intake/exhaust bolts!

And also my tick on my mj developed as I switched to valvoline maxxlife 10-30w. It was on sale and I figured a synthetic couldn't hurt.. I'm actually thinking about running delo 400 15-40w and seeing how that goes. Others say it cures the tick since its a heavier oil but better for higher mileage engines.