Oil pan bolts

In fairness to the AMC engineers, the Mopar team came in after several years of long-term real-world testing. AMC's engineering department was actually pretty good in comparison to most out there, they were just operating within a failing company that had to cut corners everywhere. There are a bunch of people from within the two units who will say that if you walked into engineering after the ChryCo takeover, you might have thought the opposite had happened... very rarely the case in a buyout.

Now don't think I'm defending Renix here. It's not bad, but it's also a very early implementation of MPFI, and first steps are always pretty wobbly. It still beats the pants off of computer-controlled carbs.

Having owned examples of both for a few months now, the HO fuel injection is way better thought out in its installation but I haven't yet been personally victimized by Renix. No centralized engine bay fusebox, just a clump of wires and fusible links sorta kinda hidden under a plastic cover? That's pretty stupid. Insufficient grounds that consistently get caked up with crud and cause driveability issues? Stupid. The '89 is tuned up right and the grounds are for the most part fixed, and in my ownership I haven't had a single issue that I could directly attribute to the Renix system. The only driveability issue I've had was the MAP sensor vacuum line was torn causing the engine to stall and idle badly, but that could happen to an early HO too. I'm sure if AMC had a few more years to develop on the Renix system they would have fixed some of the stupider things eventually. For the first MPFI in a Jeep, it's not that bad of a start, but it wasn't 100% out of the E-carb age. I'd still rather have it than a carb. The power curve, layout, and installation of the Mopar system is a quantum leap though.

The Renix cooling system is absolutely unforgivable though. Why would you add another failure prone pressurized plastic container when there's a perfectly good radiator there anyway? Not to mention the whole bottle is at the highest point in the system and way more of a PITA to burp than it should be. The HO cooling system practically bleeds itself. 

Closed cooling systems were the future.  Lots of modern stuff has it.  And it was reliable for about the first 15 years...

The Mopar types deleted the knock sensor, not smart.

Honestly, both setups are junk, we just cling to it because it's what we have.

I agree with the second line; Mopar coulda / shoulda kept the knock sensor input to the ECU. But the rest is BS.   :P