Replacing stock air box + filter

My 89 MJ (rebuilt) 4.0 came with this stupid after market cone air filter set up. It's not even secure and flops around like a horse's wang.

cx0wGKq.jpg

I want to replace the stock air box and picked up an airbox from a renix 4.0 at the local pick and pull, but it seems like I got the wrong one?

PzRYWhF.jpg

ZO1mXBY.jpg

Don't renix motors have a lower airbox hose that goes to the motor's exhaust? My MJ's motor does not have this, and although I thought the motor was rebuilt I'm beginning to wonder if it was swapped in? Any ideas? Also what exactly is supposed to be hooked up to this air box? Most of my experience has been with HO 4.0L so I'm having issues on this renix motor.

No I only grabbed the box. Thanks for the diagram that's really helpful. I made another post in regards to where certain vacuum lines go and it seems the previous owner plugged up those EGR lines that go to the box. I'll have to go check out the motor with that diagram in hand in a little while.

No I only grabbed the box. Thanks for the diagram that's really helpful. I made another post in regards to where certain vacuum lines go and it seems the previous owner plugged up those EGR lines that go to the box. I'll have to go check out the motor with that diagram in hand in a little while.

Have a look on Cruiser54.com for the part numbers and pictures for the vacuum harness, looks like you are missing the front harness at least.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Yes I want to put the old/oil box back in haha. I don't like the aftermarket k&n-style filters, they let fine dust in without running a filter sock, and at the point you're back to where you started anyways. Looks like the previous owner of my MJ took out the EGR valve and all associated vacuum lines with it. However I see no where to run the lower air box hose to on the exhaust manifold.

2KAMrvN.jpg

I'm going to replace the EGR valve and all the hoses/vacuum harness as well. Although I don't have to do emissions for this rig because of its age I still want the motor running the way its supposed to. I guess I will just pull the lower hose from the air box and plug it up.

My Renix XJ has always run better without the EGR functional. After I got it almost a decade ago, needed to smog it, and realized that the vac. solenoid did not work. Found a local Jeeper that let me borrow their's to swap in to pass smog "function test" it ran like crap driving it. 

I just put my regular air box and filter back into my MJ to smog it.  I had a good K&N cone filter set up on it that accommodated all the vacuum lines .  It did not use the passive warm air tube from the shroud on the ex. manifold.  So I had two smog shops tell me that the "thermostatic air cleaner " part had to be attached. 

Anyhoo, my truck is running better than it ever has.  Much smoother, quieter and seems to have all around better performance.  My truck passed smog with EXCELLENT results.  Just my experience.  YMMV.