Master Cylinder Leak

I'm 99% sure my Master Cylinder is leaking. I just noticed 2 drops of oil right near the fuse box today on the commute to work. I was confused at first until I searched and it looks like this is the only thing that leaks in this area and it is fairly common.

How long do I have before this leaves me stranded? If I shield/bag the fuse block (way stupid design btw to have the fuse block right in the flow of leaky MC fluid) what will happen? Will I just start loosing the clutch slowly or will it just abruptly quit and leave me stranded?

I see some people get the auto store verisons for 30-70 bucks and they last for about 15k - 6 months. Others get dealership parts, how much do they run in price? This truck idealy will only get 7-8k a year put on it and my commute to work is going down to less than a mile in one month, so realistically it will only get 5k put on it.

Thanks,

-Sean

You can just keep filling it up and drive it for a long time like that, keep a quart of brake fluid handy...eventually your electrical system will start acting wonky and obviously there's a risk of fire. The longer you let it leak the less likely you are to save your stock fuse block and replacing that is a wire by wire PITA.

The clutch master isn't hard to swap out, there's one stupid nut that pretty much requires 2 people to get but otherwise it's a one person job in under an hour. Also when it comes to bleeding the system you can save some time & aggravation with a vacuum bleeder kit (about $30)

after checking the fluid level of the MC I guess its pretty clear that it hasn't been leaking/seeping for that long. The fluid level is at max, so I'm just going to keep an eye on it and clean up after it until a couple more pay checks role in and I can replace it.

wow. dealer wants 225 dollars for it. napa wants 85. rock auto has them between 30 and 90. Thats a huge range. I am probably going to opt for the napa one. If it starts leaking again after 15k, I can replace it still for less and get another 15k. And if I honestly put 30k on this truck lifetime I will be surprised.

put the same one in mine, and it lasted all of about 5K miles until it started seeping out the back. Considering how little I drive it nowadays, I just keep an eye on the fluid level and keep wiping off the pushrod :oops:

I'll swap a good one into it one of these days......

Jeff

Considering how little I drive it nowadays, I just keep an eye on the fluid level and keep wiping off the pushrod :oops:

thats exactly what I'm doing now with mine. Seems to not leak at all for normal driving with non stop-n-go, but if the clutch is ever in for anything more than a shift it leaks out.