Innovative trailer theft prevention.......

yellaheep

trailers are so easy to steal. :(  a small piece of chain wrapped around that chain and the thieves' hitch and away they go to remove the rim at a nearby location.  I prefer something that locks the tires up, but even that is only a deterrent.  :fs1:

need to get one of those tire boots that cops use :D

trimax_wheel_lock_related_1.jpg

If it's got more than one axle, locking a tire up doesn't do much if they're prepared.  Lift that side of the axle, strap it up, and go.  Same thing you do when you have a blowout and you're too lazy to change the tire (or out of spares). :rotf:

My personal theft deterrent is that my trailer is in a field, and the grass is high enough you wouldn't know it was there without doing a flyover first. :thumbsup:

MJ Junkie, thats a good idea.

Honestly though, if someone wants your trailer, they gona get it. Your goal is to make it as tough as you can, with out making a pain for you to use.

I implemented a few different anti-theft measures. Again, my goal is to make the thief work for it. In hopes they will give up and move to an easier target. However, I don't want it to be such a pain to hook up, that I'll avoid towing it, or skip securing it. If implementing the anti-theft measures is time consuming or complected, it may get skipped.  

1st, I have a wheel lock / Chalk. I mount it to the center rim. I mount it on the most visual side of trailer, depending on where and how it is parked. Not only to act as a physical deterrent, but a visual deterrent also. All tires have at least 2 locking lug nuts. 

2. I secure the hitch with a coupler lock. I use a very good lock. I wrap the safety chain around to remove any slack, and put the hooks in the coupler lock also. This is cause thief's can use the loose chain. By raising the trailer, hooking just the safety chain, then lowering trailer. It'll work good enough to get blocks away.  

3. I'll remove the jack handle, if parked in high risk location. Otherwise it remains on.

4. Car Alarm. Simple alarm with tilt sensor, 2 motion sensors (one aimed at bed (covers cargo), one aimed in from covering coupler). Door triggers on door and tool box. System has 2 sirens, and flashes the LED lighting. 

5. GPS Locator

6. Unique ID markings on roof, LARGE. I've read articles where Law enforcement has used choppers to get visuals on stolen trucks and trailers hidden in large lots. The unique ID on the roof can be used to identify your trailer. 

7. I store my trailers at one of 2 of my homes. Main docking is fenced, security cameras, and guard dog. 2nd docking home, is fully lit with multiple lights. Guard dog, and security cameras. Physical security is important.

Still they can steal it, but they sure will have to work at it.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Note Door

Image Not Found

Image Not Found