Pilot Bearing Removal Problems

Pilot bearing puller. I bought a cheap one at Harbor Freight, $15. You'll have to modify it for the needle bearing, but since you've already got that out, you're good. Yes, I tried the grease method, and tried other tools, no luck. Didn't want to do more damage.

LOL

Just leave it in!

My TJ still has the original one from the factory

it's got 260,000 miles now, :eek:

I suppose the pilot bearing is making a bit of noise, but with all the other noises it just helps me to have a nice 'harmonic blend'

jamminz.gif

Wow I never would have thought they made a puller just for that. The grease method accomplished one thing, one helluva mess. haha

I would leave it in, but the needle cage was busted so a few needles were all over the place, I found it best to just pull it out and replace it.

I went through the exact same thing. Bearing was wasted and the only thing left in the hole was the outer sleeve thingie. Too bad we couldn't get to you before you tried the grease technique, all I made was a big honkin' mess (and it squirted grease right at my eyes, thanks goodness for safety glasses). Careful what puller you get, as I bent the one I got at Harbor Freight, but still was able to make it work with some finagling. Try to clean out the grease as best you can (use a degreaser) and then spray in some PB blaster or other penetrant (not WD-40).