gauge cluster swap

Swapped out my idiot light cluster for a full gauge cluster with tach yesterday jamminz.gif . I got the sensors for the coolant and oil pressure and put those in too, and everything works (yay). Literally a plug-and-play operation, but I’m gonna spring for new sending units because the coolant gauge is reading in the 240-250 range, and oil pressure is anywhere from 40-85 psi. I don’t think that’s quite accurate LOL :roll: . But the tach and the voltage gauge work fine, and the bonus is I now have a resettable trip-odometer! (and the new cluster has about 4K less miles on it than the old one)

Jeff

Old cluster, yuck!:

Image Not Found

One style of speedometer end (I forgot to get a pic of the corresponding cable end, but will soon):

Image Not Found

new cluster:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

There were 4 of them down there yesterday. The one I got (because it had the closest mileage on it to my original) had a dark gray overlay, but I swapped the black one out of my original cluster. I suppose you could spray paint it if you wanted (the overlay, not the gauges). $13.99, all day...every day jamminz.gif

Jeff

That looks really good. Is it hard to find a gauge cluster in all black like that? This is on my long list for the mj.

I have one from a 1990 XJ, but it has a grey trim piece

It shouldn't be too hard to find one.

There were 4 of them down there yesterday. The one I got (because it had the closest mileage on it to my original) had a dark gray overlay, but I swapped the black one out of my original cluster. I suppose you could spray paint it if you wanted (the overlay, not the gauges). $13.99, all day...every day jamminz.gif

Jeff

Never even thought about reusing the old one, I guess it makes sense. All the holes are the same size and shape, just gauges instead of lights behind them. Any of the 4 close to 147 to 150k? 14 bucks sounds like a deal to me.

Looks real nice. I like the full guages too. I have a colum shift and want to keep it, so may have a hard time finding guages. I think I may just set up some autometer guages in place if I can, do a custom set up.

I have a column shift and full gauges. I just count P-R-N-D-2-1. I don't need to have the thing on the dash. Plus if I wanted it that bad I would get a YJ column and make it work. I think the gauges are more important.

They didn't make a full gauge cluster with the built-in shift indicator, so you'll have to fab it in. Or you can use one of the 3-speed Ididit shift indicators like below. Summit has them among others. The pointer lines up perfectly with the AW4. They also make one with a chrome housing that screws into the column collar, the one I used. Works great!

idt-2600000010_w.jpg

Some good ideas there. I like the summit one you add in. I don't need the indicater, however, if the wife borrows the truck I would rather not have her run it all over town in 2nd. Also like the idea of going with aftermarket guages if I can work them in ok.

Some good ideas there. I like the summit one you add in. I don't need the indicater, however, if the wife borrows the truck I would rather not have her run it all over town in 2nd.

Or think she's in reverse and slam into the car in front of her in the parking lot. Exactly why I put it in. :cheers:

They didn't make a full gauge cluster with the built-in shift indicator, so you'll have to fab it in.

incorrect, they DID make a full cluster with shift indicator. there are several people on the club with this, but names escape me.

IF you wanted to put full gauges in a column shift auto, you can simply take the shift-indicator out of the dummy gauges, remove the tach from the new cluster (2 or 3 screws on the back right behind it), slide the indicator in, cut off the bottom edge of the tach, and then you could take a piece of plexiglass (real thin), tape off a "window" the size of the shift indicator, and paint the back of it black. remove tape, slide plexiglass in, and presto, ya got full gauges.

other than that, it's the same thing....cluster, oil pressure sending unit, and temp. sending unit are all that is needed to make it work. gotta be from the same engined truck tho (HO not interchangeable with renix due to reverse polarity gauges, etc.)

They didn't make a full gauge cluster with the built-in shift indicator, so you'll have to fab it in.

incorrect, they DID make a full cluster with shift indicator. there are several people on the club with this, but names escape me.

Okay, I'd sure like to see that. I've contacted the factory, looked at the police column units, and all I've been told is it was never manufactured.

IF you wanted to put full gauges in a column shift auto, you can simply take the shift-indicator out of the dummy gauges, remove the tach from the new cluster (2 or 3 screws on the back right behind it), slide the indicator in, cut off the bottom edge of the tach, and then you could take a piece of plexiglass (real thin), tape off a "window" the size of the shift indicator, and paint the back of it black. remove tape, slide plexiglass in, and presto, ya got full gauges.

Yes, that's fabbing it in.

Okay, I'd sure like to see that. I've contacted the factory, looked at the police column units, and all I've been told is it was never manufactured.

I've seen one.

• 1 year later...

All of the gauge clusters have the mount for the shift indicator. When I upgraded to the full cluster, I just cut out a hole in the tach and mounted the shift indicator from my old cluster. A hole needs to be drilled in the bottom of the cluster housing for the indicator's cord to run through. But it was all fairly easy to do.

All of the gauge clusters have the mount for the shift indicator. When I upgraded to the full cluster, I just cut out a hole in the tach and mounted the shift indicator from my old cluster. A hole needs to be drilled in the bottom of the cluster housing for the indicator's cord to run through. But it was all fairly easy to do.

Here some pics of the gauge shell for the full six gauge clusters. I have about twenty of these, both the Renix and HO shells, and none of them have the mounting posts or any provisions at all for the shift indicator behind the tach, as the non-full gauge clusters do. Rookie, I'd like to see some pics of a full gauge shell with the shift indicator mounts if you can provide.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Here some pics of the gauge shell for the full six gauge clusters. I have about twenty of these, both the Renix and HO shells, and none of them have the mounting posts or any provisions at all for the shift indicator behind the tach, as the non-full gauge clusters do. Rookie, I'd like to see some pics of a full gauge shell with the shift indicator mounts if you can provide.

The full cluster I pulled from an '89 Cherokee had the posts for the indicator. It had a blue casing, not the white casing like that picture.

Autometer makes single and double pillar gauge pods for our trucks, but not a triple, AFAIK. :D Is there a seam between each gauge housing?

atm-15207.jpg

oo lol sorry i super tired and only reading like every other word... I'm not 100% sure ill check tomorrow and let u no. I'm preeetty sure its only 1 tho