Ideas for my little bros comanche. help please!

I'm new to this site and i got a few ?s.

1)I'm a big diesel guy and i was wondering how the jeep diesels were?

2)How much lift can the front driveshaft handle before its taxed?

3)comman problems i need to know about with the 4.0 and the 5 speed?

the comanche my brother has is an 87 stock axels 10" lift in rear to start and 4" in the front. relocated lower control arms for better drop. double carden U joint in the rear.

here's what i have for parts that i can put in it if i so choose and if its worth it.

dana 44 front, gm 14 bolt full floter rear from a 3/4 ton chevy. 6.2 diesel that i could possibly drop in with a 4 speed trani and a 205 transfercase. dana 44 fron with a matching gm 12 bolt rear. and anything else chevy. let me know what you think.

The front D44s are GM? Unless you run the GM tcase or dig up a D300 or such, the pumpkin is on the wrong side. If you're at 10" the 14B rear would be a good idea... And the 6.2 desiel will never fit.

I'd suggest long arms too...

Oh, jeep diesel engines are quriky and rare. Beyond that I don't know anything about them.

don't bother with the jeep diesel engines. the 2.5L is as good if not better.

2.5L TBI 150 C.I. I-4, rated at 117 HP at 5000 RPM, and 135 Ft. lb. of torque at 3000 RPM.

Renault 2.1L 126 C.I. I-4, rated at 85 HP at 3750 RPM, and 135 Ft. lb. of torque at 2750 RPM.

Oh, depending on what year, the 4.0 and 5spd is a great combo. However, if you got the imfamous BA10/5 peugeot (mid 89 and earlier) it WILL break. The 4.0 in itself is pretty bulletproof, just keep changing the oil unless it doesn't work. The later 5sp (AX-15) is quite strong.

Wait, you say it's an 87. It's got peugeot. Unless it got swapped (it happens)

You can adapt a VW TDI engine to the AX-15 using a conversion kit for a suzuki(I think...) and the bellhousing from the toyota 5spd (it's an AX-15, just it has a different name and bellhousing). As far as I know, nobody has ever actually done this, but in theory it would work. You'd have to do a lot of research though and a fairly large amount of fab work. Just for a TDI engine, which doesn't seem ideal to me, at least not in comparison with the 4.0.

Oh, you could always swap in a chevy 350 diesel. It would be just as hard as a 350 swap. That's baring that you can find one, and keep it running.

And for flipping the axles, you'll have 5 reverse gears and one foreward. But if you mount the engine in the bed facing the wrong direction, it would go the right way... But then you've still got really screwed up driveshaft angles and a huge amount of fab work. Not to mention that the oiling on the axles will be screwed with them flipped. And the whole steering thing, and caster... If you were building a tube buggy, it's a reasonable thing to do (with the right axles) but for anything else, no.

alright sounds good. ya your right any other diesel doesnt soud right thats y i asked.

the 350 diesels absolutely suck they are basicly the same as the gaser just with diffrent heads. i wouldnt dream of running one.

so here's what i have come up with

ill keep the stock driveline for now... (maybe itll see the 6.2 sometime in its future) then my problem is lifting the nose to match the back. i got 12" of lift out of a cherokee and i didnt notice anything diffrent on the nose of this... but that doesnt mean I'm right.

what about swaping to leaves in the front. simplifie everything. mud is more my style anyway and i don't need extream articulation. is there enough stregth at the nose of the frame ralls or am i just asking to tweak somthing out of wack

For front leaf springs, you'll have to do some beefing. At the very least you'll need to build a new front crossmemeber for the shackles. And you'd have to run some plate along the uniframe up near the front to attach the crossmember too. The steering box area would need to be beefed up too, otherwise it'll get torn off; but that's regardless of whether you're running leafs. The LCA pockets can be used as leaf pockets, but I wouldn't. They aren't ment to take the stress. I'd either cut them off and build new ones, or cut them up and do some reinforcing.

XJ/MJ fronts are pretty much identical suspension wise. The LCA pockets got extra reinforcing, and there might be a few other differences. What type of lift is this if it's a 12"? There's not much out there that's that big, as generally people build there own at that point...

What size tires are you planning? With 12" of lift, I have no idea what would actually fit... Not to mention that the front D30 is only really good for about 34s (people will debate this to no end) and the rear D35 is good for about 31s, and the D44 rear is only really good for about 37s. Not to mention you'll have a major width/stability issue with 12" of lift and 60"ish wide axle. Oh, you've probably got a BA10/5 too, so watch it blow the first time you dump the clutch.

And to answer one of the first questions, just doing the math in my head, at 12" of lift the front driveshaft is going to have barely any spline engagement on level ground.

One final thing:

Sawzall > Lift

Live by it.

its got the stock axels both with lock right lockers. running 35x12.5 bfg mud terains. the 4.0 is it and its auto. its an 88. the only problem ive had with those tires is the ends of the axel bend and through your tow off. both axels are trussed have skid plates on the diferential and the vacume. we swaped out the one without because of the locker. 10" coils in the front with custom heavy coil spring spacers. custom shock mounts because they don't make shocks long enough. custom uper and lower control arms. ran the upper control arms to the lower control arm mounts on the fame and made new mounts for the lowers. re did the track bar mount to acomadate the angle. a custom drop steering arm to handle the angle. rear u joint skid pan. custom rear mounts for the leaves. custom shackles. track bars for the rear. custom sway bar link disconects/extentions. snorkel out of pvc.and finaly rock bars on the outside primaraly as fenderflares but they look better and protect. and a bunch of other little doo dads :D