Trans power / comfort switch ????

I thought all aw-4's came with the trans power / comfort switch and that you needed to have it :???: The XJ that we got the dash / wiring harness did not have it, and Project X also is not equiped with one.

So once again why am I running around looking for one :nuts:

All it does is lower the shift point, which is harder on both the engine and the tranny. It was supposed to help fuel economy. When they dropped it in 1991, they just hard-wired the tranny for the "pwer" setting.

Don't waste any time looking for one, you don't need it.

I'm gonna have an extra one shortly, If you realy want it, I'll let ya have it for the shipping cost.

You would need to figure out it's actual wiring, if your MJ isn't already wired for it.

Honestly, I don't think it realy makes a awhole lotta difference, from what I'm hearing. I got one out of an 88 XJ wagoneer with the switch for the rear windshield wiper. Was gonna swap it out with my current switch, and wire the wiper switch for some snow plow lights. So your welcome to have it.

my friend has a 96 with one...

If he has one on his 96 (XJ?) it is probably an after market one. Like i said before, Jeep discontinued the power/comfort switch in models newer than 91 :brows: .

ha! he has one, that doesn't mean it necessarily is actually for the trans...when you flip it it lights up but god knows what the military did to the wiring...for all i know it could light up Ft. Lauderdale

edit: explanation is that it was a military base 2 door xj with some special heavy duty 2" higher than normal suspension and air ride rear shocks. some things are funny on it

so should my switch always be on, or off?

Like Eagle says, It should be in the "POWER" position for best mileage and crisper shifting.

The engine, engine wiring and trans in the MJ are out of a 91, inside wiring and trans computer from a 93 XJ. Project X is a 92 XJ.

Charles

Charles, if the TCU is a 1993 you don't need it. To be sure, if you still have the 3-pin connector behind the dash that plugs into the power/comfort switch, you can jumper pin B (DB wire) to pin C (TN wire, 12V). This will apply 12V to pin C11 of the TCU and will keep it always in the POWER setting.