31's are on, yay!

mjeff87

I haven’t been around much lately :cry: , thanks to work and some family issues, but I did manage to get a few hours in on the MJ this weekend. I got my $100 BFG’s mounted on a set of aluminum YJ wheels, and got ‘em on. Here’s me getting back from the tire shop…had to get the old rubber off the YJ wheels and get the 31’s mounted. Tires??? I got tires!

Image Not Found

Here they are installed:

Image Not Found

They “just” fit with the 2WD springs:

Image Not Found

If all goes well (which it probably won’t), I can get the front lifted this weekend. I’m going with a set of ZJ springs, WJ LCA’s, the ACOS, 2” bumpstops, new brakelines and a set of Rancho’s all the way around. If I manage to get it all done, I’ll post up some more pics.

Jeff

Looks nice Jeff. How's the driveability with the 4.56s? I bet you can get it up to 65 now with out taching in the 4k range! Let me know when you end up working on the front end. Right now my weekend is open and could maybe lend a hand.

-Sean

Thanks....I haven't had it up to speed yet, just around the neighborhood carrying a torque wrench, and the lugs haven't loosened up yet (knock on wood). I'm not completely comfortable with the amount of thread engagement with these aluminum wheels....yet. But so far, I'm staying in gears longer than I did with the 235's (not sure how off the speedo is either).

Been in PA alot lately, we're about to have a death in my wife's family and will be going back up for the funeral, probably sometime midweek, so I don't know when I'll get back to wrenching on it. Sucks to have something half-done....

Jeff

Pong Fabrications, Inc. :D

Pat (pingpong) made it for his longbed, and I adapted it, so to speak, for my shortbed.

Drop him a PM.....he's starting to mass produce them, couple different versions depending on what you're looking for. I might get to guinea-pig some of them, maybe :brows:

Jeff

Thanks for the props Jeff, I hope all is well with your family and will keep you and yours in my prayers.

I am sure you are a lot happier with them 31's.. I think I might have some 33's for you... if I ever get done working on some other junk

Thanks Twisty...it's a work in progress (which will probably never be "done")

Pat, I've already been bit by the inchitis bug.....I want 33's now :D Between them, the lift, and the new seat position with the buckets, I'm gonna get nosebleeds sitting up so high LOL

Told you that was going to happen ;) Before long we will be bobbing the bed and getting busy with the sawzall comancheB.gif

I got a cool idea on making wrap around sliders that require no cutting... I just need to get you out my way so I can figure it all out... kinda sucks I chopped the back of my rig and got rid of it

Thanks....I haven't had it up to speed yet, just around the neighborhood carrying a torque wrench, and the lugs haven't loosened up yet (knock on wood). I'm not completely comfortable with the amount of thread engagement with these aluminum wheels....yet. But so far, I'm staying in gears longer than I did with the 235's (not sure how off the speedo is either).

Looks great Jeff! Rule of thumb is to have a minimum of 5 full turns w. the lug nut. When I put disks on the back it sucked up about 1/4" of threads, then put the 8"-wide TJ wheels after that on it sucked another 1/4", so I was left just over 4 full turns on the nut. Was not comfortable with that so I put in new 1/2"x20 studs 1/2" longer. Easy job and worth it for the peace of mind. Luckily I did not have to use a spacer for the front to clear the LCA's, or I would have had to put new studs in the front too.

Told you that was going to happen ;) Before long we will be bobbing the bed and getting busy with the sawzall comancheB.gif

I got a cool idea on making wrap around sliders that require no cutting... I just need to get you out my way so I can figure it all out... kinda sucks I chopped the back of my rig and got rid of it

I can stop by your way when I go down to my folks place in Deltaville. I usually use my MJ to pull the Jetski. I will drop you a line when I go down there.

That would be great :brows: Is your rig SWB or LWB? I would hate to have to pull Jeff's bumper for the first proto type, as his weighs a ton :brows: The new one will weigh much less I hope, especially if they are made out of the tubing. I am going to have to find an abusive driver to test it though :nuts:

JUst give me a holler when you get ready to head down this way... Heck we have a boat ramp in my subdivision you could use to launch out of :D

[Rule of thumb is to have a minimum of 5 full turns w. the lug nut. When I put disks on the back it sucked up about 1/4" of threads, then put the 8"-wide TJ wheels after that on it sucked another 1/4", so I was left just over 4 full turns on the nut. Was not comfortable with that so I put in new 1/2"x20 studs 1/2" longer. Easy job and worth it for the peace of mind. Luckily I did not have to use a spacer for the front to clear the LCA's, or I would have had to put new studs in the front too.

For some reason, stuck in my mind is a guideline of thread engagement on the stud should be at least 2X the diameter thickness of the stud. Not sure where I picked that up from, but it sounds good :D I've got about 3/4" of stud exposed with these alum wheels, whereas I had about an inch with the stock steel wheels. I didn't count turns, but IIRC I did get at least 5 when tightening (it's raining now, and I ain't going out to unthread one and count, but will later). I drove it to work this morning, about 35 miles, and am gonna check them with the torque wrench at lunch.

Thanks!

Jeff

I just need to get you out my way so I can figure it all out... kinda sucks I chopped the back of my rig and got rid of it

I'm not sure exactly where you are, but I got nothing going on this Sunday and could be up for a drive depending on things.

Lookin' good El Jefe.

Now where'd ya get them sporty wheels?

:D

BTW... I have the 5th for ya... 'cause ya gotta have a matching spare!

Sorry I did not get to clean them all nice-nice before you picked them up.

-cmc-

SWB. Where is the subdivision? my folks are on fishing bay.

Bush Park Estates... it is on the left on your way down to Deltaville. I actually live in Hardyville. If you go past BelAir estates yo have gone to far.

I would love for you to come down this weekend Unlimited, but I am working 3-11 shift :cry:

Just got home a bit ago...none of the lugs loosened. I pulled one off both the front and the rear and rethreaded them, and got about 8 1/4 turns on them until they seated, plus another 3/4 turn or so until they torqued to spec. So I suppose they're ok (?)

Maybe it's just a depth perception thing, since these aluminum wheels are recessed so much....I dunno. But, if they ain't flown off yet after a 70+ mile roundrip on the interstate, I'm thinking they're good to go :D

Kinda hard to get a good pic, but this is what I gots. They're '94-'95 YJ wheels on an '87 XJ D30 (the studs are centered although the bottom pic looks like they aren't...I had to angle the camera lens to get a pic of the stud length:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Jeff, you sure you have the right lug nuts... I know it sounds stupid, but some rims reguire different lug nuts. The rule of thumb concerning nuts in genereal is full thread engagemant meaning at least the diameter of the stud or bolt...

Yeah, I made sure of that....they're the same style as the ones that were on the YJ the wheels came from. Both the stock steelies and these aluminums have the same tapered seat But I'm gonna spring for a new set of them, seeing as mine have been with me since I got the truck and are a tad rusted/chewed up.

I should do it right and get new studs too, I suppose. I can get 1/2" longer ones to boot, just for peace of mind.

Jeff

SWB. Where is the subdivision? my folks are on fishing bay.

Bush Park Estates... it is on the left on your way down to Deltaville. I actually live in Hardyville. If you go past BelAir estates yo have gone to far.

I would love for you to come down this weekend Unlimited, but I am working 3-11 shift :cry:

Sorry to highjack Jeff, I have a buddy who has a camper at Bush park. we go to visit him when we are down there if he is there. I will drop you a line when we are going to come down. I am replacing my steering box(durango upgrade) and radiator on my TJ this weekend, so I am busy as well.