Wiring difference between '84 XJ and '88 MJ

I've got an '88 MJ that's got a blown 2.5L and an '84 XJ with a decent 2.8L V6 (yeah I know - but if I use the V6 in the MJ for my son then I can convert the MJ to 4x4 and go buy the good stuff for the XJ!).

One issue I have is the XJ is completely gutted on the interior, I bought it this way to make a dedicated trail rig, (see pics below) and there is no dash, there are only 6-7 wires total on the inside, just enough to make it run. So what am I up against by swapping this motor over to the MJ? New ECU (or whatever they're called), different wiring harness's, etc. Also, I know the 2.8L is carb'd while the 2.5L is TBI - what issues here.

I need some MJ/XJ expertise here...thanks!

(I've also been told to just go get an XJ (Or MJ) with a 4.0 that's been wrecked but that's out of the question at this point because 1) I don't have the space and 2) Don't really have the extra cash right now.)

EDIT: The alternative is to take the parts I need off the MJ and then part it out but it really is in good shape and I would like to get it going. Thanks again.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

The 2.8L V6 doesn't have any ECU. The carburetor (which is a POS) isn't computer controlled, like the one on the 84 & 85 2.5L. Best bet is to just replace the stock V6 carb with an aftermarket.

There also isn't any CPS to worry about.

I used to have a 84 Celebrity with the 2.8. I used an edelbrock intake, it comes as two parts, an upper and lower. The lower stays the same, but the there are two uppers, one for a 2BBL carb, the other for a 4BBL carb. I used a lean jetted Holley 390 4BBL carb... The intake, if still available, is listed for the Chevy S-10 trucks of that year. the intake was a bit pricey back in 96 when I did it. But it was a pleasant improvement. Mileage went up too, as long as I kept my foot out of it. :cheers:

2.8 sucks.

recommended upgrades are an edelbock 4 bbl intake and a holley 390cfm with cams and bore...then you can actually put out some power.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/man_sbchev.html

check that link, it has the intake you need. worth the $$$ if you're bent on putting one in...

Thanks for the link

Not that I'm bent on putting one in, I just happen to have one that works and I really don't have any extra money right now to go out and buy a new motor...

How about this smog stuff on the 2.8L? I'm assuming since the engine is a carb'd engine all it needs is fuel and spark to run and I can take all the smog stuff off?

the "smog" stuff on the 2.8 is the carb as a whole.

the carb is a series of vacuum-actuated crap that was designed for better emissions. needless to say, it's choked the life out of the 2.8. just a plain 2 barrel carb will liven up a 2.8 like you wouldn't believe. sadly, I don't know of one that will bolt straight on.

keep in mind that the 2.8 carb. motor is the same motor as the s10 2.8. sooo if you were to go to the jy for less than $100 at a u-pull-it jy you'd get a tbi setup and the necessary wiring for that setup. that also gives you a better scenario as the porting on the tbi intake manifold is more extreme and better than the jeep 2.8 carb. manifold.

basically, there's no way around it being a boat anchor without investing money in a new carb. or TBI-ing it. (beaterjeep and I are gonna TBI his 86 2.8) the TBI requires new valve cover gaskets (and the s10 valve covers), intake gaskets, and that's about it. lay the s10 harness in and remove the lighting wires and other extra wires, run a battery power, ignition (key on AND engine crank position IGN feed), and a ground. it requires also the s10 rotor assembly

next-best upgrade after the TBI is a 3.4 camaro engine. simple, you swap the 2.8 exhaust manifolds and oil pan/oil pickup onto the 3.4, and basically drop it in then run the wiring just as with the 2.8 TBI except the computer can stay in the engine bay. you need a VATS antitheft bypas module for this conversion...$30 from bakerelectronix.

either way, a stock 2.8 is not gonna cut it offroad, and will kill you with today's prices in gas.

Ok, so my options are basically a new intake/carb or TBI.

If I go with an intake/carb combo I'm guessing that I can remove just about everything else in the engine bay, i.e. smog stuff? Because at that point it really only needs the fuel and spark to run; right?

If I go with an S10 TBI, what all will I need. I see from your post that I would need the valve covers and intake/TB. I'm guessing there is a computer attached to is somewhere that I would need?

My ultimate goal here is to simplify the engine bay of this thing. I'm going build a custom dash and run all new wiring for the lights, etc. because the PO removed them all.

I'm really liking this S10 TBI thing so any other info (i.e. years of S10's to look for, location of wiring in said S10's, etc.) would be awesome, thanks.

The simplest solution is a 2-bbl carburetor off a pre-smog engine. Holly and AutoLite used to make a wide variety of "lay-down style" (low, like a 4-bbl form factor, rather than upright that won't fit under the hood) 2-bbls, and you should be able to pick up rebuilts or even new aftermarket clones reasonably. Just pick one for approximately the same size engine. Don't get one from a much larger engine or it'll be jetted too rich.