'91-'96 157k-160k Speedometer

Minuit

Long story short, I have a full cluster ready to swap in to my MJ, but the odometer on it reads about 10,000 miles more than my truck has. I want the odometer reading to stay the same when I swap to the full cluster. My truck has about 156k on it, so I want a speedometer that has between 157k and 160k. It has to come from a '91-'96 full cluster. I would junkyard this but every XJ in the one I frequent has well over 200k on it. Anyone got one?

Not 100% on this since I've never taken one apart, but I think the 91 on up clusters are set up to prevent changing the odometers. I know you can change the earlier ones, though.

Or do you know a way to do this?

Yep, done my 91 (250k-151k works perfectly)also cut tach for column shift at same time just be careful with the melted tabs, then roll back with drill (I've messed one up with Dremel to high rpms!) it's pretty self explanatory once you get in there it's set up to be noticeable once tampered with but who cares right.

Pulled this from net sounds about right takes awhile with drill but not as bad with just fingers.

"First, remove the entire speedometer from the cluster. There are three screws in the back holding it in. Second, gently pry off the speedomter needle using a small screwdriver and your fingers. It should come off with little resistance. Third, remove the screws holding the speedo face on. Fourth, disassemble the odometer. It's fairly obvious how to do this. Just remove all the screws taking one piece off at a time. Fifth, remove the plastic section attached to the right side of the odometer. This is held on by two clips on either side, and has a small yellow gear that turns the odometer/tripmeter. You should then be able to freely turn the dials to reset the odometer. It took me about two hours to turn mine down about 60K. Time consuming, yes. But well worth it in the end. Once the odometer reads what you need it to, reassemble in the exact reverse, starting with the unit containing the yellow gear. Once this is back in place, it will hold your odometer setting."

I don't mean to come off as rude or shoot you down, but I'm ridiculously anal about having things the "correct" way. If there's any signs of tampering (whether you can see them or not) it's not going to be good enough for me. I want things to look factory. It would bother me to no end if I didn't do it the way I am (getting a different speedo and matching the mileages). Thanks for bringing that up though, it'll doubtless be helpful to people that ain't quite as particular as me. :thumbsup:

I don't mean to come off as rude or shoot you down, but I'm ridiculously anal about having things the "correct" way. If there's any signs of tampering (whether you can see them or not) it's not going to be good enough for me. I want things to look factory. It would bother me to no end if I didn't do it the way I am (getting a different speedo and matching the mileages). Thanks for bringing that up though, it'll doubtless be helpful to people that ain't quite as particular as me. :thumbsup:

The only way to tell is if someone disassembled your cluster lol! The tabs that are mentioned have a small melted ends on you can cut with exacto knife still snaps together just lets someone know it's been done if they disassembled of course. Kinda like a lot of electronics have xbox ps4 etc. just lets them know you opened it.

If u do decide to tackle it, I may be able to dig up some photos if needed. To be honest, I didn't want to do it either was kinda intimidating at first but could never find a cluster that was close enough so I figured screw it I'll give it a try. The great thing about it you can get the Odo to be exact.