xj vs mj rear shock

r they the same length

No. For unlifted vehicles, XJ (SOA) shocks full extension is about 20" (travel 12.75-20.00). The MJ (SUA) shocks are 23" (travel 14.3-23.0). Mounting details are different too.

Real world example. I pulled a decent set of Gabriel gas shocks out of the rear of an XJ I bought for the drive train. The 2WD SWB Comanche I have here needs rear shocks big time, so I thought I could possibly remove the bar pins and get by with them in the MJ. My initial measurements suggested they'd be just about maxed out at rest, but I thought they woud bolt in.

So I chopped the end off each bar pin and pushed them out. When I tried to mount the shocks in the MJ, even fully extended they were about 1/2" too short.

You can buy new shocks (stock height) from Pep Boys or Auto Zone for $10 each if you're in a bind. Don't even bother fooling around with XJ stuff. Not on the rear, anyway.

I have a complete cross reference for substitute MJ rear shocks (unlifted) based on travel. Some of these vehicles include Toyota FJs, Nissan Frontiers, Isuzu pickups, Chevy LUVs, even Ford vans. Sometimes you can find these on Ebay for cheap. Have swapped a few prelift and all worked well. If I could figure a way to upload this list (an XL spreadsheet) I would. But if anyone needs it, I shoot it out.

Yeah, that's true Dirty. But if you're looking for MJ rear shocks and know the vehicles that will substitute, you can do a search on Ebay for that particular vehicle and maybe save some $$. Once got a new set of spring assisted Gabriel shocks for an old Toy Land Cruiser for $15 shipped. They were a little stiff but they bolted right on and travel was correct.

Monroe's entire catalog is on-line, last I knew. At the end of the catalog they have two sections that are of interest to us type people. First is the section that lists the shocks by length (extended and compressed) and by what type of fittings are on each end. Using that you can find shock numbers with the length and end fittings you need.

Then there's an application listing, in which you look up the shock you just chose for length and it tells you what vehicle it is supposed to fit. Once you know that, you can shop other brands and sources for shock to fit that vehicle.

Then there's an application listing, in which you look up the shock you just chose for length and it tells you what vehicle it is supposed to fit. Once you know that, you can shop other brands and sources for shock to fit that vehicle.

That's very true Eagle, however the vehicles listed on the Monroe site are not complete. I don't even remember where I got this rear MJ shock cross reference from, had it for years (think it was when I was stationed in Japan), but it contains compatible international vehicles too. It saves some time, and one of the vehicles listed as compatible is the Chev LUV pickup. Dayem, how many of these are left? Anyhow, if anyone wants it, I'll send it.