Question. Would a 98 zj dana 30 fit my 87 mj?

Does any one know if a dana30 from a 98 zj with steering andtrack bad with bracket and front drive shaft would fit my 87 mj? Theres one at work that might be getting junked soon and looking to make the truck last just lil bit longer and would the steering shaft fit also. Thanks. The both have 3:55 gears

ZJ's had either a front CV style driveshaft, or a Ujoint style drive shaft. The ujoint style shafts will fit the yokes if cut down to the needed length (I have a couple I had shortened during my XJ build, and now keep as trail spares). Usually shortening only ran me $40 or 70 with a rebalance.

Can't say on the steering shaft but the columns are similar, and the steering boxes are interchangeable. Measure the length and compare end connections.

The axle is closer to a TJ design brackets wise, meaning they use a cam bolt for caster adjustment. This is not an issue as you can either retain it and have double adjustable arms (using stock arms) or lock it out with a washer and use your stock frame mount adjuster. Other wise TRE's taper and layout, trackbar brackets (axle side) are the same. My 88 MJ has some ZJ parts on it's front end (from a 95).

Knuckles and hubs and brakes are all the same for related years, and are compatible with D30's 90-98 (and part way through 99). The knuckles themselves are the same as those used 90 up with regards to XJ/MJ compatibility...

If you can get a good deal on the parts do it. And my suggestion is to buy a set of u joint shafts and use the cv shafts as spares. The front drive shaft might be too long. But you can trade or sell it and get an xj front shaft.

I took a look at it. It has a ujoint style yoke. I didnt think to look at the axle to see if it had adjusters. Thanks for the info. If i can just change the axle itself do i need to change some of the ujoint caps? Thanks

The XJ/MJ/ZJ used the same size driveshaft ujoints.