GE Nighthawk LED Headlamp Eval

I've had the Truck-Lite round LED headlamps in my JK for awhile now and I really like them. So much so that I bought a 5"x7" pair for my MJ. These are the GE Nighthawk brand, and I found them on Ebay for a decent price. The below pictures are comparisons of the HI and LO beam patterns between Hella E-code housings with 55W/100W H4 bulbs and a relay harness, and the GE Nighthawk LED headlamps with the relay harness.

Here they are installed. I like how they look:

E-code H4 LO Beam:

GE LED LO Beam:

E-code H4 HI Beam:

GE LED HI Beam:

There's not a dramatic difference between the two, and it's difficult to take pics like these at night with long exposure times, but I much prefer the LEDs for a few reasons.

1.  Light Color:  The LEDs are a lot closer to daylight than the H4s yellow-ish color. Much more restful to my tired old eyes.

2.  Amp Draw:  For the same lumen intensity, the LEDs draw about 25% of the amps the H4s draw and about 33% of the amps of a stock sealed beams. Although I kept my relay harness in, it's really not needed.

3.  Expected Life Span:  LEDS = 15000hrs, H4s = 150hrs

4.  Lumen Output:  Low beam is about the same between the two, but high beam seems is best on the LEDs. It seems to get down the road farther than the H4s. I can tell by the pics I need to adjust the LEDs up a bit more.

A few factoids comparing the GE LED headlamp vs. a similar 55W/100W H4 halogen bulb w. 1005 (LO) / 2400 (HI) lumens output @ 12.8VDC nominal voltage:

LED             H4
Low Beam Amp Draw:    1.5A             4.6A
High Beam Amp Draw:    2.9A            8.3A
Average Life Span:        15000hrs    150hrs

Just looking at the pictures - the E Codes are putting the light on the road further down the road than the LED lamps.  Is that something you will be able to adjust with the LED lamps?  I like the lower current draw with the LEDs, but just from these 4 pictures, I would want the Ecode light pattern if I were driving in a strange place. Looking forward to a further report on these LED lights.

Yes, the MJ LEDs are adjusted too low as compared to the JK LEDs from the same distance. Maybe it's a variation between the Truck-lites and the GEs beam patterns, or the 7" round vs. the 7"x9" rectangular shells, but it's not a problem - still learning. Definitely have to crank them up a bit though on the MJ. Mañana evening............

The huge advantage of the E Code lamps is the beam pattern.  The fact that you can fit higher wattage bulbs is secondary.  With just standard wattage bulbs, E Code lamps put more useful light on the road because of the beam pattern.  E Code lamps are not DOT approved.  They are designed and approved in Europe, hence the E Code name.  The beam pattern is very sharply cut off to avoid blinding the on coming cars, but well focus down the road so the driver can see quite well.  I have been using a set of E Codes on my Passat for 4 or 5 years now.  The difference compared to the DOT approved lighting is huge.

I would be very interested in a set of LED E Code lamps.  Also looking forward to more pictures once Don gets his headlights properly adjusted.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found them on amazon and holy crap are they expensive at $250 each!

Does this mean you're selling your H4 setup?

You should check the price for Hella E-Code lamps with H4 bulbs.  That is Don's old set up.  Not just H4, but real glass E-code Hella lamps.  The Hella E-codes I got used for my 96 Passat were cheap at $400 for the pair and they don't have H4 bulbs.  My point is that good, quality lighting is not cheap.  If you want cheap, look at some C.R.A.P. (Chinese Replacement Auto Parts= C.R.A.P. ) knock offs.  But the lighting will be junk.  The beam pattern will be terrible.

I just found them on amazon and holy crap are they expensive at $250 each!

Does this mean you're selling your H4 setup?

The GE Nighthawk LED lamps were $300 shipped for the pair.  But you can always cheap out and pick up a pair of Autopal "e-code" (actually India-codes) junk and delude yourself thinking that you have quality H4 lighting.

John - I'll get some pics up soon - been foggy and/or rainy every night.

Amazon had a $100 coupon at the introduction of the GE Nighthawk LEDs.  Would say Don got close to a steal.  Or as he said a good deal.  The TruckLite LED lamps were close to $500 each when they first came out and the beam pattern was not that great from what I read at the time.

Don, no problem.  Got your note that you had done some adjustments and the weather was crappy.  I will be working in Sacramento for a week and then off to the Olympic Peninsula for a couple of weeks vacation.  Likely will have more crappy weather than we get in a couple of years here in San Diego.

• 1 month later...

I have these, with Silverstar Ultras, and a headlight relay harness. http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_501_07.htm

My light output is more than I would ever need, both in dispersion, spread, and throw.  Total cost = $120.

Those are also aluminum body with a glass lens.  Don't waste your money on the E-codes.  Yes, they are awesome, but I've had E-codes before, and these things are comparable in light output, and honestly have better distance.

I do like the idea of the LED headlamps, but the cost is just way more than I want to invest in headlights.