fsj axles on my 86 comanche?

has anyone put any axles off a fsj under their comanche that could help me out on what all i need to do this and how i would go about doin this? one axle is a 44 the other is a amc 20 and they both are from an 84 gw. heck I'm not even sure if i can do this with this 2.8L engine. so any help on this will be great. thx alot for the help.

You can do it... but if you have to ask, you're in over your head!

Bascially, you're going to have to set the front up with the same bracketry as the 5-link. There's some crappy kit out there that includes all the stuff you'll need to weld on. I think it's RE. There's diagrams on pirate4x4 somewhere on how to locate everything. Either that or run front leaf springs, which are a topic of their own. The rear will be easy enough, as it's just spring perches. Then there's brake lines, and new driveshafts. Unless the old ones are close enough, in which case all you'll need (probably) is adapter ujoints. Oh, you'll have to mess with the waggy steering a bit, but I think it's actually pretty similar to the stock stuff. And shock mounts, forgot those.

Yeah, can be done. Your engine really doesn't matter. Although, I'd be asking myself "Why? It's a bloody 2.8"

Edit: My only real advise would be 'get reading'

Front leaf springs, waggy D44, MJ

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthre ... did=232083

Half way down the page, Waggy D44 with RE brackets

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthre ... =waggy+d44

if you go with waggy axles, go ahead and plan on regearing. The stock 2.72 gears or whatever blow...

i put a waggy d44 under the front of my truck about 6 months ago (with leaf springs). I am currently running an MJ amc 20 in the rear. still havent decided what I'm going to do about swaping the bolt pattern so that ill have a complete set of matching rims...

A toyota 8" would also work. It would match the bolt pattern and width, at least. And you can get disk brake ones, and factory e-lockers, I think.

But, FSJ AMC 20's had one peice shafts, and apparently are fairly strong other than the light tubes, and the keyward or plugs that hold them to the center section.

At least, that's what I hear.

I did some hardcore research on the AMC 20 a month or so back. I found an 86 MJ with one in a yard that had 4.10 gears. Was going to pick that and it's matching HP30.

Anyway.

The pinon and ring gear are super strong from what I read. Stronger than a 44 even. What was said above is the word on the street. Tubes like to twist. Most of the FSJ guys are just welding the tubes to the pumpkin, and apparently there's a retrofit/mod that you can do to the keepers to help also. From what I was looking at it's a very good axle if you fix it's little problems. Gear selection was alright, and there's an aussie locker for it available. I'm still going to pick those axles in mind for the future. Too bad that yard thinks they're gold, and wants $600 for the pair.

I am supposed to be going to help put a pair of Waggy D-44's under a Cherokee this weekend. I can takes pics if someone needs a pic of something. Its about 50/50 wether I'm going, I have to go to the land of Fruits and Nuts this next week.

I am supposed to be going to help put a pair of Waggy D-44's under a Cherokee this weekend. I can takes pics if someone needs a pic of something. Its about 50/50 wether I'm going, I have to go to the land of Fruits and Nuts this next week.

Are they keeping the front 5-link? If it's not inconvenient, take pics, I always like looking at things.

And what the heck is the land of Fruits and Nuts? :?:

Are they keeping the front 5-link? If it's not inconvenient, take pics, I always like looking at things.

I believe he is using a custom version of the 5-link. I am probably going, they changed my flight to Wed. now. (Land of fruits and nuts is Southern California)

I believe he is using a custom version of the 5-link. I am probably going, they changed my flight to Wed. now. (Land of fruits and nuts is Southern California)

I didn't take any photos. Turned out he is using some off the shelf Rubicon Express parts. He is using them full width, and placement of the perches, is absolutely critical. Other than that, it was alot of measuring and adjust the CAs to get everything level, and straight.