Bosch aftermarket fuel pump installation

So I haven't actually taken my fuel pump out, will do it tomorrow afternoon, but I went ahead and cut the plastic so the top rubber piece would be flush.  I think this will make it fit perfect with no cutting of metal necessary.  I just used the dremel to cut the top of the plastic off on my dotted lines so it would fit flush.

I think cutting the plastic is much easier than cutting metal and leaves the sender alone.

I hope it works and fits...

cutfuelpump.jpg

• 1 month later...

Today I installed the Bosch fuel pump 69302 and Dorman lock ring 55810. These pictures sure made the installation a lot easier. I removed the rear driveshaft, actually disconnected it from the rear Dana 44 and just slid it towards the passenger side to gain easier access . Lock ring came off easy, but I could not get sending unit fuel pump out of the 18.5 gallon tank. So I removed the factory fuel skid plate and then it came out. I did grind out the upper metal bracket as shown in the photo's, Big Thank You on those photo's that helped immensely or I would have been lost . Went back together and installed in the fuel tank fairly easy. My hardest part was getting the new lock ring on but finally did. took me about 2 hours, my first fuel tank pump ever. I could replace it again in 30 to 40 minutes if I ever needed to. I am sure it was the original fuel pump in my 1992 Comanche, it was larger Bosch pump that lasted 23 years I think. Thanks for all the photos and advice fellows.

Bill in Alabama

Great write up and should prove very helpful this weekend. I especially appreciate the pics.

What keeps the fuel screen from sliding off? Or do I have the wrong one?

Airtex FS104

If you can swing it I'd go with the Bosch pump, the airtex pumps are poor quality .

There is a locating tab for the screen / strainer on the lower ring of the fuel sender , between the force of the strainer being pushed on the pump and slightly crimping the locating tab it will stay in place just fine .

Bosch , Delphi , AC delco , carter , precision then airtex . are my opinion from best to worst pumps . There are other brands I'm sure but that's my personal experience .

Has anyone ever had any problems with the "poor quality" airtex pumps?

Years ago I installed one in Wilbur, lived there for a few years, then ended up on a shelf when I got an after market fuel cell. When the stock pump gave up in the Purple People Eater I tossed in the old Airtex one and it still runs fine to this day.

Today I installed the Bosch fuel pump 69302 and Dorman lock ring 55810. These pictures sure made the installation a lot easier. I removed the rear driveshaft, actually disconnected it from the rear Dana 44 and just slid it towards the passenger side to gain easier access . Lock ring came off easy, but I could not get sending unit fuel pump out of the 18.5 gallon tank. So I removed the factory fuel skid plate and then it came out. I did grind out the upper metal bracket as shown in the photo's, Big Thank You on those photo's that helped immensely or I would have been lost . Went back together and installed in the fuel tank fairly easy. My hardest part was getting the new lock ring on but finally did. took me about 2 hours, my first fuel tank pump ever. I could replace it again in 30 to 40 minutes if I ever needed to. I am sure it was the original fuel pump in my 1992 Comanche, it was larger Bosch pump that lasted 23 years I think. Thanks for all the photos and advice fellows.Bill in Alabama

glad to be of help! And yeah, the first time took me about 3 hours. Now I can remove and install it anywhere in 40 minutes flat :D

Great write up and should prove very helpful this weekend. I especially appreciate the pics.

What keeps the fuel screen from sliding off? Or do I have the wrong one?

Airtex FS104

If you can swing it I'd go with the Bosch pump, the airtex pumps are poor quality .

There is a locating tab for the screen / strainer on the lower ring of the fuel sender , between the force of the strainer being pushed on the pump and slightly crimping the locating tab it will stay in place just fine .

Bosch , Delphi , AC delco , carter , precision then airtex . are my opinion from best to worst pumps . There are other brands I'm sure but that's my personal experience .

Has anyone ever had any problems with the "poor quality" airtex pumps?

Years ago I installed one in Wilbur, lived there for a few years, then ended up on a shelf when I got an after market. When the stock pump gave up in the Purple People Eater I tossed in the old Airtex one and it still runs fine to this day.

I just went ahead and got the Bosch cause of the brand name. I can't speak for the fuel pumps, but everything else Airtex that I have gotten has been horrible. My TPS didn't even last 10 minutes.

• 5 months later...

So I haven't actually taken my fuel pump out, will do it tomorrow afternoon, but I went ahead and cut the plastic so the top rubber piece would be flush.  I think this will make it fit perfect with no cutting of metal necessary.  I just used the dremel to cut the top of the plastic off on my dotted lines so it would fit flush.

I think cutting the plastic is much easier than cutting metal and leaves the sender alone.

I hope it works and fits...

cutfuelpump.jpg

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but did this work?  I'm swapping my fuel pump and waiting on a strainer to come in....I don't wanny pull the pump a 3rd time today, but I can do this tonight while I wait if it works.

Hello,

I replaced my fuel pump a longer time ago also with a Bosch pump. This pump is much more louder than the original one, especially when the gas tank is half full.

Does someone has the same experience?

Sorry for my English, I'm from Germany.

Hello,

I replaced my fuel pump a longer time ago also with a Bosch pump. This pump is much more louder than the original one, especially when the gas tank is half full.

Does someone has the same experience?

Sorry for my English, I'm from Germany.

Agree, the same for me. But unfortunately the larger OEM Bosch pumps are no longer available and the new Bosch substitute pumps are still better than the competition. I'll stick with whatever Bosch pumps are available until someone convinces me there's a better option. 

I also read about pump being loud, but personally I can't hear it, seems like the same to me with replacement pump, at least inside the cab. Maybe you can hear it more when around the bed of the truck, but that doesn't bother me.