photo sharing question

Pete M

one of our newer members is trying to share pictures using a site called zenfolio.  it provides a hot-linking address that just doesn't want to work.  what exactly is going wrong?

this is the page with the photo:

http://dlcorcoran.zenfolio.com/p865211914/h1497dfda#h1497dfda

Reason why is its linking to a web page, That has a photo on it.

It's not linking directly to the photo.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like you can link directly to that site & have it post on CC, You can however just hit "Download" And re-upload the pic to Imgur

lF6mwTt.jpg

yes, that's not the addy of the photo itself, but rather the page with the photo on it.  I wanted to include that page so y'all could see what I was working with. :thumbsup:

why would a site have a link address, but not allow linking?  doesn't make any sense to me. :hmm:  at least now I know I'm not simply doing it wrong.  :D  thanks!

yes, that's not the addy of the photo itself, but rather the page with the photo on it.  I wanted to include that page so y'all could see what I was working with. :thumbsup:

why would a site have a link address, but not allow linking?  doesn't make any sense to me. :hmm:  at least now I know I'm not simply doing it wrong.  :D  thanks!

Well it seems like a popular site layout for pics That they don't want stolen without you paying for them. But then there's a "Download" button right next to it.. So yea.. Idk either haha

If you go to the "share" section of the menu where the download link is, open up the embed code, and copy the URL for the image, it'll work. You also have the added advantage of picking a size from the drop down menu, and each size has a different URL that updates when you select a menu option. The URL you want is the "img scr=" one that ends in .jpg (or whatever the file format is... don't know if it'll do others or not.)

Small:

p345497562-2.jpg

Medium:

p345497562-3.jpg

Large:

p345497562-4.jpg

X-Large:

p345497562-5.jpg

You also can get the original full-size image, but in this case it's obnoxiously large for a forum and I think I've made my point.

Yeah it's a pain in the butt... it's obviously also not their intended way to do things. They probably don't want people using more of their bandwidth than they need to... isn't that what they make you pay for?

I got the idea because I was curious as to what all was involved in "embedding" an image on a webpage as opposed to simply putting one there... Turns out all it is is some 20-some-year-old HTML that: a) links to source; b ) adds the image; c) redundantly specifies the existing image's dimensions; and the absolutely off-the-wall original, shoot everything out the ball park, ultimate example of coding prowess that is d) IT ADDS ALT TEXT!!!

Here's a mop for that puddle of sarcasm.

mop-and-bucket.jpeg

If you go to the "share" section of the menu where the download link is, open up the embed code, and copy the URL for the image, it'll work. You also have the added advantage of picking a size from the drop down menu, and each size has a different URL that updates when you select a menu option. The URL you want is the "img scr=" one that ends in .jpg (or whatever the file format is... don't know if it'll do others or not.)

Small:

p345497562-2.jpg

Medium:

p345497562-3.jpg

Large:

p345497562-4.jpg

X-Large:

p345497562-5.jpg

You also can get the original full-size image, but in this case it's obnoxiously large for a forum and I think I've made my point.

Ahh, my Adblock+ Blocked that lol

Thanks for all the input.  I was trying to share a photo of my puppy with Pete and was running in to all kinds of problems.  Yeah, as photographers of the image, it is copywritten and we don't want the photos stolen.  Yeah, I pay yearly for them to host my photos.

I wanted to use FB, but it wasn't being too friendly.

Thanks for all the input.  I was trying to share a photo of my puppy with Pete and was running in to all kinds of problems.  Yeah, as photographers of the image, it is copywritten and we don't want the photos stolen.  Yeah, I pay yearly for them to host my photos.

I wanted to use FB, but it wasn't being too friendly.

How can't it be stolen though? Its pretty easy to rip a photo from them lol