Question about correcting speedometer after tires

This question is asked a lot but mine has a little bit of a twist to it. Recently I have put a lift on my MJ 6.5 inches or so and put 33s on it!

Now obviously the speedometer is going to be off because of a different geometry through the tires! So my speedometer reads 7Mph too slow exactly! I know in a model XJ or MJ to fix this issue you would just change the tooth size of the speedo gear!

My problem is that I have the 86 MJ with the 2.8L and it uses a speedo cable instead of the electric pulse sending speedo! I was wondering how to correct this as I am doing a full gauge cluster swap this Friday. Thanks for any advice!

Specs: 1986 Jeep Comanche 2.8L AX-5 transmission D30 front D35 rear both 4.10 gearing(d35 about to be replaced with Ford 8.8) 6.5 in lift and 33x12.50r15

Doesn't matter, all electronic or cable speedometers all use a speedo gear for calibration based on tire size and drive ratio. Use this site to determine which gear you need: http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm

And what's with all the exclamation points!

Thanks, helped a lot! And I just find it makes everything sound welcoming/nice IMO

So my speedometer reads 7Mph too slow exactly! I know in a model XJ or MJ to fix this issue you would just change the tooth size of the speedo gear!

manche 2.8L AX-5 transmission D30 front D35 rear both 4.10 gearing(d35 about to be replaced with Ford 8.8) 6.5 in lift and 33x12.50r15

Impossible. The differential is a percentage, so any difference increases proportionately to the speed. In other words, if the speedometer is off by 2 MPH at 30, it's off by 4 MPH at 60 and 6 MPH at 90.

So my speedometer reads 7Mph too slow exactly! I know in a model XJ or MJ to fix this issue you would just change the tooth size of the speedo gear!

manche 2.8L AX-5 transmission D30 front D35 rear both 4.10 gearing(d35 about to be replaced with Ford 8.8) 6.5 in lift and 33x12.50r15

Impossible. The differential is a percentage, so any difference increases proportionately to the speed. In other words, if the speedometer is off by 2 MPH at 30, it's off by 4 MPH at 60 and 6 MPH at 90.

Correct. Was gonna post relatively the same thing..

Not impossible, I don't mean to argue but I know for (edit: almost) a fact it's 7mph I don't know if something was messed up before but it's 7mph off I've driven by a radar sign and when my speedo says 55 it says 62. Now I realize there could be some error! So I did it again and it read the same! The radar could be off but who knows I would just be happy if it worked again!:)

Not impossible, I don't mean to argue but I know for (edit: almost) a fact it's 7mph I don't know if something was messed up before but it's 7mph off I've driven by a radar sign and when my speedo says 55 it says 62. Now I realize there could be some error! So I did it again and it read the same! The radar could be off but who knows I would just be happy if it worked again! :)

You can be off by 7 MPH when your speedo says 55. But that's the ONLY speed at which you'll be off by 7 MPH. When your speedo says 27-1/2, you'll be off by 3-1/2 MPH. It's a proportion, not a constant error.

Not impossible, I don't mean to argue but I know for (edit: almost) a fact it's 7mph I don't know if something was messed up before but it's 7mph off I've driven by a radar sign and when my speedo says 55 it says 62. Now I realize there could be some error! So I did it again and it read the same! The radar could be off but who knows I would just be happy if it worked again! :)

You can be off by 7 MPH when your speedo says 55. But that's the ONLY speed at which you'll be off by 7 MPH. When your speedo says 27-1/2, you'll be off by 3-1/2 MPH. It's a proportion, not a constant error.

Okay that makes more sense! Thanks for explaining guys. I thought it was a constant.