XJ seat question (pics!)

So I finally swapped in the one XJ seat I had and it seems ridiculously tall:

PICT9701r.jpg

PICT9700r.jpg

For those who have done the swap, is there anything you can do? The big @$$ plastic handle will not budge and i'm stuck in that position...is there a way to slide the seat back? Thanks!

Those are rocker style they suck to swap in cause they are high. I broke mine jumping in and out cause my truck is lifted and has those. I think you can remover the rocker portion but someone else will have to tell you how.

Cole

remove the seats, take out the 4 bolts on the bottom of the frame that remove the lower upholstry. spray the sh*t out of the rocker section w/ pb blaster and the hinge for the big plastic handle. get it free and moving, clean the pb blaster off, put together, reinstall.

I put the same seats in my truck, and yes, they sit high. the only remedy for that is to chop down your comanche lower brackets and reweld them, or get a regular xj bracket and do the whole thing over. I'm keeping mine because I like sitting higher in the cab (I'm 6'1" too). my head doesn't hit the ceiling, and the single problem that I have is that the rearview mirror is now too low on the windshield...I would like to remove it and mount it higher up.

Agreed, the problem is the extra height added by the "rocking chair" hardware. You'll have to get rid of that to get the seats down to a "normal" height. Dunno what year Jeep stopped offering that, but buckets out of an early to mid-90s XJ would probably not have them.

Agreed, the problem is the extra height added by the "rocking chair" hardware. You'll have to get rid of that to get the seats down to a "normal" height. Dunno what year Jeep stopped offering that, but buckets out of an early to mid-90s XJ would probably not have them.

rocker action was an option. just look at what you buy if you change. if it doesn't have that rocking action, and it's in an xj, it will work great

if it doesn't have that rocking action, and it's in an xj, it will work great

Just be sure it has the curved seat rails- not ALL XJ seats will work. There's another thread around here somewhere with a great diagram of what seat brackets and seat mounts Jeep used over the years. Check that out and use it as a reference. I'll see if I can find it for ya-

Edit: here it is: http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopi ... =seat+swap

Wow, thanks everyone. That was alot more than I ever expected!

So, it sounds like I can remove some of the rocker harware and booty fab it back together to be lower.. How much more fabricating is required? I'm really on a tight budget and making completly new seat brakets would be alittle more than i'm willing to put into it.

I'll try to atleast get the seat sliding around, otherwise I may just get 2 completley new seats. BTW, which way do i push/pull the big plastic handle?

Thanks again dudes. :cheers:

The big plastic flapper for the rocker action is pulled up. Just in case thats what you ment

Cole

Correct, you kind of squeeze it together with the seat itself. Sitting in the seat, using your right hand reach down with your thumb on top of seating surface and fingers on plastic paddle. Squeeze and seat will/should if not still frozen, rock.

CW

rocker action was an option. just look at what you buy if you change. if it doesn't have that rocking action, and it's in an xj, it will work great

I beg to differ. I bought my '88 XJ new. It has the rocking chair seats, and I know I didn't pay for them. They were standard on the Pioneer, Chief, and Laredo models.

I beg to differ. I bought my '88 XJ new. It has the rocking chair seats, and I know I didn't pay for them. They were standard on the Pioneer, Chief, and Laredo models.

not on the base model though...I commonly find more xj's without them than with them. point taken though, as there weren't many base models...meaning that the "regular" brackets would be less common...for you guys :D

I like my JY

i have rocker-chairs in my MJ and they do sit high, but mine do not rock... i guess theyre frozen in place?

yep. disassemble as stated previously, wd 40 or pb blast them, and hope they unstick.

mine were stuck when I got them...I got the flapper working, then bolted the seat to the workbench and kicked the front several times...freed it right up!