$700 89 long bed project

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are lucky on getting your bumper. I ordered one the day before you did (Sept. 17) I'm still waiting.

I had to call Logan's, I ordered on a weekend and their printer ate my order so they didn't fulfill it until I called two weeks later.

I modified it a little, this is just tacked together, didn't take good photos after I finished welding and painted it.

85c0b25932acc596928f4727a6a5dc9b.jpg

More work on the comanche this week... got both vacuum harnesses off ebay for $38 including shipping:

Also got the JCR DIY rear bumper in the mail.  Started with the center section

I found it easiest to actually weld the caps to the wings, to get the angle right.  Then adjusted the center section as necessary:

I read about everyone's problems with the supplied hitch receiver not being the correct size, decided to learn from everyone else's hardships.... I found this 2.25 to 2" adapter sleeve at lowes for 10-15$, and used that instead

I got the shell all welded and ground, just gotta add the mounting brackets and D ring tabs, finish grind, and paint when I get the time

Truck developed a fairly bad miss this week, barely ran. So I decided to do a basic tuneup and compression check just to see where I'm at with this 215k mile 4.0

Whew! I didn't expect to find bad numbers, but I'm always nervous doing compression tests... Also, found why the truck was barely running:

The plugs, plug wires, and rotor were just as bad as the cap too. Hopefully next time I post it'll be for more exciting stuff, like finishing the rear bumper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you're just using it for the street, & leave the sway bar on.. I wouldnt worry about the bump stops / brake lines on 3" of lift.

You should still be fine on caster too imo. Get an alignment though, & check the print out.

• 10 months later...

It's been a really long time since I've updated this thread, just been driving the truck!  I've been working on a few things lately.

First thing was to replace the broken and work e-brake cables

The dimmer function didn't work on the headlight switch, so I ordered a new one....but got the wrong part.  Ended up fixing the old one.  Also replaced a door pin switch (dome light works upon opening the doors now!)

I picked up a 97+ XJ front header panel and DS fender for a good deal on craigslist.  Scored the other fender, fender brackets, and missing turn signal housing online (I love how cheap and plentiful parts are for this thing)

More coming soon. 

so the sleeve with the jcr rear bumper is not the right size? ive been looking at that one and hope to order one before to long

Nope. The JCR receiver has a lot of slop when used with a hitch or hitch mounted accessory. You can order an actual receiver from any hitch manufacturer that will be the right size AND be cheaper than the JCR tube ;)

YO!

Hey I'm in Bellingham too!

I drive a black/red w topper LWB '88 & work at Fanatik Bike Co. on State St.

Here's my build thread:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/42813-project-sipsey-88-pioneer-long-bed/

I'll shoot you a PM with my phone number.

Gimme a shout if you need anything!

This is awesome there are already 2 local guys here in Bellingham that have reached out to help a new Jeep owner!

Can't say that of the other forums I use for various reasons...thanks for the warm welcome Lee and 8valve!

It's weird you work at fanatik I just saw a really cool vinyl wrap on a newer crew cab truck with Fanatik on the side.

I used to work at a shop that did wraps, and that one still got my attention!

We'll all have to grab a beer sometime so I can pick your brains on jeep stuff

I'm here in BHAM too. I you ever need anything just PM me

YO!

Hey I'm in Bellingham too!

I drive a black/red w topper LWB '88 & work at Fanatik Bike Co. on State St.

Here's my build thread:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/42813-project-sipsey-88-pioneer-long-bed/

I'll shoot you a PM with my phone number.

Gimme a shout if you need anything!

This is awesome there are already 2 local guys here in Bellingham that have reached out to help a new Jeep owner!

Can't say that of the other forums I use for various reasons...thanks for the warm welcome Lee and 8valve!

It's weird you work at fanatik I just saw a really cool vinyl wrap on a newer crew cab truck with Fanatik on the side.

I used to work at a shop that did wraps, and that one still got my attention!

We'll all have to grab a beer sometime so I can pick your brains on jeep stuff

I'm here in BHAM too. I you ever need anything just PM me

Thanks will do!

Was that you i just drove by on Iowa St?

Saw a blue 'manche :o

If it was today, wasn't me unless my wife was driving it for some reason. I live on woburn and take Iowa a lot

I'm real easy to spot right now as I've installed the 97+ front end with 2 different color fenders ha! Getting painted in a couple weeks....

Was that you i just drove by on Iowa St?

Saw a blue 'manche :o

If it was today, wasn't me unless my wife was driving it for some reason. I live on woburn and take Iowa a lot

I'm real easy to spot right now as I've installed the 97+ front end with 2 different color fenders ha! Getting painted in a couple weeks....

Ah, Then it wasnt you.

This was a solid blue.

I'm just off pacific st

• 3 months later...