anyone do an egr delete?

Delete the EGR?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Delete the EGR?

• yes, no problem at all!
    • no, bad idea

I have done this before on my 86 z24 and 91 infiniti g20. Has anyone done this on an mj? I know I can do it, but are there any forseeable problems with doing it on a 'manche? I have a bit of an erratic idle until it warms up and it is perfect then, but when it is stumbling, you can hear some strange choked noise in the egr valve and then when the noise stops the idle smooths out ALOT. I like the cooler running temperature also as well as not recurculating all of that crap back through the motor, and have very good success before in doing this. It is no problem for me to pass inspection either.

you won't pass visual inspection, but I've done it on my manche...it has a 3.8 camaro engine though.

if you do it, get a Nox catalytic converter...they're about 100 bucks but it will breathe well and pass any exhaust inspections.

i don't even have an evap system and i passed with flying colors.

Why not just get a new EGR valve? I've always read that there's no performance gained by blocking off the EGR valve, and that you raise crankcase pressure, which will most likely, on the 4.0, increase the ever-present blow-by.

Why not just get a new EGR valve? I've always read that there's no performance gained by blocking off the EGR valve, and that you raise crankcase pressure, which will most likely, on the 4.0, increase the ever-present blow-by.

no "performance" is gained, however, it lowers the engine temperature, and I already have a breather on so no worries about blowby or excessive cc pressure

roadless, how did you make your plates? The way I have done it in the past is to cut away the excess material on the egr valve and weld the hole shut and cut the flex tube off of the part that goes into the intake and weld that solid as well. Is there an aftermarket supplier for these or do I have to make them again?

roadless, how did you make your plates? The way I have done it in the past is to cut away the excess material on the egr valve and weld the hole shut and cut the flex tube off of the part that goes into the intake and weld that solid as well. Is there an aftermarket supplier for these or do I have to make them again?

I picked up some aluminum scrap (about 1/4"), then traced and cut a plate out and drilled the two mounting holes.

For the plugs, i just cut the tubing, removed the nuts, and welded the holes up (making sure they didn't leak) and then bolted em up to the intake and exhaust manifolds :drool: . Oh, no after market suppliers that i know of. In fact the thread count on the nuts is really odd so i had to be careful not to screw them up!