New Texas member with '88 Chief just acquired!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

So it's been awhile. Finally a little hands on time with the Chief. Put a cat/ muffler from autozone under neath, certainly not much voice, but that's not something I desire anymore. The old tint film came off beautifully with razor blade and windex. Glad I didn't have to get back into those doors to replace the glass! Brakes are holding but still need a full bleed. The spare that was in the back of the cherokee is a 215/75r15 and a perfect match that will get me on the road. Get that swapped onto the right rim today when I get to town- in my MJ!!! Yep it's gonna make its first trip this morning! Took the wife and biddy little down the road in it last night about 3-4 miles, they were stoked as much as I was!

So it's been awhile. Finally a little hands on time with the Chief. Put a cat/ muffler from autozone under neath, certainly not much voice, but that's not something I desire anymore. The old tint film came off beautifully with razor blade and windex. Glad I didn't have to get back into those doors to replace the glass! Brakes are holding but still need a full bleed. The spare that was in the back of the cherokee is a 215/75r15 and a perfect match that will get me on the road. Get that swapped onto the right rim today when I get to town- in my MJ!!! Yep it's gonna make its first trip this morning! Took the wife and biddy little down the road in it last night about 3-4 miles, they were stoked as much as I was!

Congrats man!! Sounds like a productive couple of days!

First trip to town went smooth. No troubles. Still feel like the jeep is Runnin hotter than the gauge says. Gauge fluctuates between 155-160. I had replaced the stat with a Napa 195. Thinkin I might need a new temp sending doomajig. Tranny seems to have zero issues barring the obvious puking all over itself. I filled the gas tank when I reached the first station in town and when I reached my destination I could smell some gas. I see a tank drop in my future. When I replaced the old tank I reused the rollover grommets on top from the old tank and they must not be sealing. Still a great first run and the trip home was just as uneventful. 32 miles. Perfect!

Thanks Zebvance, been a learnin process. My wife and I own a small business in downtown Canton and we count on the First Monday Trade Days crowd showin up every month. If your back thru sometime look us up! www.cantondishbarn.com we are open all month, not just 1st Monday. We've got great friends in Giddings that we get down to see occasionally. Love it down there as well!

Very cool! I'm also a small business owner (https://www.facebook.com/VanceWoodworking). It takes a certain type of people to do what we do now a days. Me and the old lady will definitely stop by there next time we come through, She loves Fiesta wear.... If you don't mind sending me a PM on the details of your website(who made it, how much it cost) that would be great, I'm trying to get mine up and going now.

Alright so on the temp unit subject; I had all the math they offered back in high school, I'm talkin elementary analysis, calculus AP, the whole meal deal, there was no more math available at any level! but this temp gauge has me perplexed! 

anyone wanna tell me what this needle reading is? I've got 110 degrees below 210 to split and 50 degrees above, huh? It has been runnin right at that midway mark between 100-210. My wife says don't worry about it. I replied that it's different than her in the kitchen when the smoke alarm goes off and she says "suppers ready".

Tank dropped yesterday and rollover rubber grommets replaced. $3.99 each at 4wheelparts. I love that my Chief has the tank skid plate, until I have to drop the tank, unfasten, drop a little, twist, wiggle, roll over a bit, watch out for hoses and lectrical and that's just me gettin under it!

For the Chromies out there. Swiped the Chrome remote manual side mirrors off the XJ and installed. Now if I ever have to move them after the first adjustment (hah) I don't have to roll down my power windows (what work that is (Hah)) and reach out and move'em.

Plus they match the grill now.

also went to swap out the door key lock mechs, but the '92 is much smaller in diameter than the '88 and its connecting rod is different, so was a no go.

• 3 months later...