4X4 Not Working?

Alright, thanks for all the input so far, has been very helpful, my taillights would still not be working if someone didnt tell me about the ground wire inside the tail light.

Onto the next problem, the 4x4. When I put the column shift into 4 wd the front drive shaft is spinning but nothing else is happening. The front wheels do not turn, I checked the lines going to the actuacter and found that one was disconnected and dragging on the ground so I replaced it.. I'm not sure how the actuacter actually works but would this be a good place to start checking. The truck is a 1991 pioneer. I will also say that when I brought the truck home it was in 4wd because the drive shaft was out, It drove fine in 4wd but now that I put the drive shaft back in and put it into 2wd it won't go back into 4wd. Any idea on where I could start looking for issues. I don't know for sure but the issue shouldnt be the shifter because the front shaft is spinning???

Any help would be awesome.

Fixing this thing to be road worthy again has almost become an obsession.

check out the CAD bypass thread in the DIY forum  :thumbsup:

I looked at your post, If I understand correctly this will keep the truck locked in 4 wheel high all the time? An is there a spot to stop the fork so it won't be in 4w low or by doing this is it only going to be 4 w hight. If so is it going to hurt me driving it on pavement on a regular basis?

check out the CAD bypass thread in the DIY forum  :thumbsup:

I looked at your post, If I understand correctly this will keep the truck locked in 4 wheel high all the time? An is there a spot to stop the fork so it won't be in 4w low or by doing this is it only going to be 4 w hight. If so is it going to hurt me driving it on pavement on a regular basis?

As Pete says above.........it will not be a problem if when you are on the pavement your transfer case is in 2wd

Onto the next problem, the 4x4. When I put the column shift into 4 wd the front drive shaft is spinning but nothing else is happening. The front wheels do not turn, I checked the lines going to the actuacter and found that one was disconnected and dragging on the ground so I replaced it.. I'm not sure how the actuacter actually works but would this be a good place to start checking. The truck is a 1991 pioneer. I will also say that when I brought the truck home it was in 4wd because the drive shaft was out, It drove fine in 4wd but now that I put the drive shaft back in and put it into 2wd it won't go back into 4wd. Any idea on where I could start looking for issues. I don't know for sure but the issue shouldnt be the shifter because the front shaft is spinning???.

I'm confused by the original post. The column shift controls the transmission, not the ntransfer case. It has nothing to do with being in 2WD or 4WD.

That said, I'm inclined to agree that the front axle disconnect probably isn't functioning.

Onto the next problem, the 4x4. When I put the column shift into 4 wd the front drive shaft is spinning but nothing else is happening. The front wheels do not turn, I checked the lines going to the actuacter and found that one was disconnected and dragging on the ground so I replaced it.. I'm not sure how the actuacter actually works but would this be a good place to start checking. The truck is a 1991 pioneer. I will also say that when I brought the truck home it was in 4wd because the drive shaft was out, It drove fine in 4wd but now that I put the drive shaft back in and put it into 2wd it won't go back into 4wd. Any idea on where I could start looking for issues. I don't know for sure but the issue shouldnt be the shifter because the front shaft is spinning???.

I'm confused by the original post. The column shift controls the transmission, not the ntransfer case. It has nothing to do with being in 2WD or 4WD.

That said, I'm inclined to agree that the front axle disconnect probably isn't functioning.

my drive,reverse is on the steering wheel, the column is on the floor that controls the 4wd, maybe column is the incorrect term for the handle that shifts the 4wd, if I understand correctly the transfer case is controlled by the 4wd shifter on the floor, or as I called it the column. Is there another name?

Pete M, I read up on your post and read about 7 pages into it, makes alot more sense now, If you could make sure I understand this correctly all I need to do is take the cover off the actuator, pull off the c-clip, slide the fork to the other side, replace the clip on the same side it was on, put the cover back on, plug the lines, an that it.......does it matter if I have the xfer case in 2 wd or 4 wd when I do this?  :hmm:

OK, so it's really early on a Saturday morning...my head's a little fuzzy.  There still seems to be confusion as to what the 2 shifters do and what things do under there.

The COLUMN is the steering wheel "shaft" a.k.a. "steering column".  On column shift models, a cable attached to the shifter (P,R,N,D,1-2) controls the tranny, and only the tranny.  On floor shift models, the cable is just shorter, otherwise the same.

The shifter (for the TC) is ALWAYS on the floor and uses a very simple linkage system (which is adjustable).  The TC shifter controls the gears & chain in the TC.  Nothing else.

The doo-dad on the axle uses vacuum to engage (or more correctly) lock two pieces of the axle together with a splined sleeve.  Locking the sleeve over to keep the two pieces of the axle together "all the time".  Thus the term "lock" the CAD (Central Axle Disconnect).  Not to be confused with a "locker"

No one has mentioned the possibility of the vacuum lines being disconnected or compromised, the vacuum switch on the TC, or the big rubber vacuum plug on the axle which is actually how the system is designed to work.  So instead of trying to do the modification, why don't you fix the original system. It's really pretty simple.

I think I'll go back to bed.

my drive,reverse is on the steering wheel, the column is on the floor that controls the 4wd, maybe column is the incorrect term for the handle that shifts the 4wd, if I understand correctly the transfer case is controlled by the 4wd shifter on the floor, or as I called it the column. Is there another name?

To most of us, "column" refers to the steering column, which happens to be where your transmission shifter is located. The 4WD shifter would be referred to as a "lever."

To most of us, "column" refers to the steering column, which happens to be where your transmission shifter is located. The 4WD shifter would be referred to as a "lever."

ok I'm with you now, I'm proud to say I did check the vacuum lines going to the actuator and they had good vacuum, I pulled off the actuator and cleaned the rod and put it back on still didnt work, so I pulled it back off and did the fix that PETE M told me about, It worked great, I only have one question.......

I was under the impression that when I moved the fork on the cover and the small piece inside the driveshaft to lock in the 4 wd this would make the front drive shaft spin everytime the truck is in drive even when the LEVER ;) is in 2 wd. I bolted the cover back on, started the truck, put it in drive and my front drive shaft was not spinning, I put it in neutral and moved it to 4 wd and then to drive and I had my front left wheel spinning, when I put it back into 2 wheel the front drive shaft stopped spinning....so thats what I'm confused on, I thought one of the down falls to fixing it this way was having your front drive shaft spinning constantly. I'm not complaining because its working fine the way it is. Just trying to figure out how everything is working down there. 

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I'm slowly learning, I know I'm doing it backwards, Its hard to fix things when your not really sure how its suppose to work in the first place. Thanks again. :D

the front driveshaft will always turn with the front tires, not the t-case.  :thumbsup:

the CAD design was a silly attempt by Jeep to increase fuel economy and decrease wear.  It does neither of those things in any measurable way and always breaks when you need it most.  :fs1:  that's why Jeep threw it out as the 90s went along.  it was just a big mistake.  :doh:

• 9 years later...

Hello All.  I was getting ready to do the permanent CAD elimination - simple kit purchased.  I took the CAD cover off and slid the locking collar over towards the diff to lock the two shafts.  Apparently I slid the collar too far over now it's not engaging the wheel side axel.  Now I can't slide the collar onto the wheel shaft.  I'm afraid to force it over...Any suggestions?