Never Buy A Hatch Strut Again

Ha.....love it

Being from the great white north I came up with the same idea with one of our easily replenished natural products.........composite hockey stick shafts   :Canadaflag: ......looks just like in the video but instead of a pvc pipe it is a rectangular composite member.....the advantage......with some of the more $$$ sticks you get a ready made radical paint scheme......the ones I have look like carbon fiber (a bit more classy than pvc)   :thumbsup:

Previous owner of my camper shell had done this rather than buy a new strut.  Lift the back gate for the shell and the PVC falls down and locks in place by gravity.  Still on the shell today.  1 inch PVC about 5 or 6 inches long.  Works just fine!  Wish I had thought of posting this.

• 5 months later...

81Chero:  You are a newbie, so you are forgiven.  BUT, you have posted the same question in 3 different areas in just a few minutes - not good form.  One area will usually get you multiple answers, but you need to give us some time.  OK?  See the answers in the Tech forum.

My XJ had a 2x4 cut to length in the hatch area when I bought it. I didn't know why til I opened the hatch to pick it up, bent over and grabbed it then had the hatch smash me in the head a couple seconds later. First thing I replaced. They're only like $20 a set at Napa.

I'm driving my nieces ZJ while my MJ is at the front end shop (I grenaded my rear end in my Dodge on Monday) and neither the hatch nor the window struts work anymore. Spent almost $70 today replacing them for her. :/