Rear Drum Brake Size

Is there an easy way to find out the size of shoes in your rear drums without yanking the wheel?  I'm going to be installing new e-brake cables and am thinking I should be prepared to go ahead and do the shoes while I'm in there... but of course there's more than one size listed.  Any thoughts?  I'd prefer not to have to pull it apart more than once.

Thanks

According to the factory parts manual:

1989 w. D35 rear axle: P/N  J8133818

1989 w. D44 rear axle: P/N  83502385

Do a part number search on RockAuto for your axle. There's a killer closeout deal there now for the J8133818 (WAGNER PAB267) shoes.

That's what I needed FrankTheDog.  I'm going to have to find some of the skinny ones.

What did the Dana 44 come in?  I've been tossing around an upgrade but I don't know what kind of donor I should be looking for.

I think overpriced is a rude term. The aftermarket and used parts availability for the Dana 44 far surpasses the 8.25, and the fact that it is non c clip makes it more desirable for a heavy wheeler.

The 8.25 is just as strong, but market price is negligible difference between the two at even moderate pricing vs. the gains you see with the 44 over the 8.25.

I think overpriced is a rude term. The aftermarket and used parts availability for the Dana 44 far surpasses the 8.25, and the fact that it is non c clip makes it more desirable for a heavy wheeler.

The 8.25 is just as strong, but market price is negligible difference between the two at even moderate pricing vs. the gains you see with the 44 over the 8.25.

I'm not too familiar with the 8.25 in a Jeep, so I gotta ask, how do the 8.25, 8.8, and D44 stack up in relation to each other. From what I understand, the 8.8 is stronger than the 44 in many ways. What's your take on it?

8.8, 44, and 8.25 pretty much have equally strong shafts, bearings, ring, pinion, carrier, and factory spline strength.

8.8 is easily obtained with discs already as well as deeper gear sets.

8.25 is common

Dana 44 has the best aftermarket

8.8 probably has a slight edge in strength and factory discs are the norm. 29 spline 8.25 & D44 are probably a wash but the MJ/XJ D44 has unusually small axle tubes that may give the nod to the 8.25.

What you have not mentioned is that the Ford 8.8 is several inches narrower than the XJ and MJ axles, and can't be used in an MJ with any factory Jeeps wheels unless you also run wheel spacers.

WMS to WMS is 59" to 59 1/2" depending on who's posting.

Explorer wheels have an inch less back spacing than jeep wheels.

Ranger and explorer rims will work on a XJ MJ axle as long as you open up the center hole 1/32.