leaking rear axle?

It's a Jeep....something would be wrong if it DIDN'T leak :D

A pinion seal leak might fool you into thinking the cover gasket is leaking....it runs down the bottom of the pinion and back the housing and drips off the bottom edge of the cover.

Jeff

my rear axle D44 is leaking at the pinion but it's very obvious from the partern of gear oil slung all over the underside of the bed, interesting thing is it does most of its leaking while driving and not when parked.

my rear axle D44 is leaking at the pinion but it's very obvious from the partern of gear oil slung all over the underside of the bed, interesting thing is it does most of its leaking while driving and not when parked.

that's because the pinion only gets oil when you're driving, and the ring gear slings it up there through the oil passages.

Eh, put a container under the diff, unbolt the cover, clean the mounting surface of the cover and diff, apply some permatex, wait a couple minutes, bolt the cover on, add gear oil, and you're good to go.

You don't wanna run your axle out of fluid, that's no fun at all.

Eh, put a container under the diff, unbolt the cover, clean the mounting surface of the cover and diff, apply some permatex, wait a couple minutes, bolt the cover on, add gear oil, and you're good to go.

I can tell you how far a dana axle will run on the highway without gear lube.

About 20 miles.

then the pinion bearings die.

About 20 miles.

But seriously, who needs a pinion bearing?

About 20 miles.

by die, I mean seize themselves so hard that it stops the truck, and you'll toast the clutch trying to make it move again on the side of the road.

having your driveshaft lock up at 40 MPH isn't a pleasant experience.

About 20 miles.

by die, I mean seize themselves so hard that it stops the truck, and you'll toast the clutch trying to make it move again on the side of the road.

:rotf:

Maybe I should have left the gear oil in that 8.8, just in case you forget again. :D

You don't want a rear axle or front axle to seize, my dad told about a good friend of his who had a pinion bearing seize in a chevy truck on very congested section of I-45 in houston. The resulting accident from the truck's sudden unexpected stop brought the freeway to stop for hours.

If its leaking its working if it stops leaking refill it before harm comes to you or someone else.

There are three automotive constants, jeeps, harleys and volkswagens mark their spot where ever they go if they're not marking they're not running.