Grille interchange???

Does any one know if I can put an 88 grille on my 92? I know they are made different, but will it work without a bunch of modifications? I'm changing from black to chrome, so I will be using ALL the chrome from the front of the 88.

jeepnut_99, It can be done, but will require a little bit of work. On the '88, the upper & lower chrome trim between side marker lamps attached by rivets & the grill was "sandwiched" by them. On the '92, i believe those pieces were a part of of the grill. You'll want compare the header to see if there is enough to rivet to. The outer trim rings should fit w/no trouble.

mjcanoe

After doing some more digging, I think without changing the header panel, It will just be a bigger pain than it's worth. I know that replacement parts arent that expencive, so I'll probably go that way. Thanks for the input...Scott

It was april of 2005. I still have parts of it laying around. I just can't bring myself to get rid of what's left of it. :cry: ...But now I have another one, hopefully it will be as nice some day..Scott

It was april of 2005. I still have parts of it laying around. I just can't bring myself to get rid of what's left of it. :cry: ...But now I have another one, hopefully it will be as nice some day..Scott

on-road? that had to be scary.

I just have a few odds and ends left. Most of it has already gone to the scrap yard. Sure miss that truck. I hope this one will be as nice...eventually ;) I only had a few scratches, But it was quite the ride!

jeepnut_99, It can be done, but will require a little bit of work. On the '88, the upper & lower chrome trim between side marker lamps attached by rivets & the grill was "sandwiched" by them. On the '92, i believe those pieces were a part of of the grill. You'll want compare the header to see if there is enough to rivet to. The outer trim rings should fit w/no trouble.

mjcanoe

Getting back the the original question, the headers are different so making a grill fit the wrong year header is more than a "bit" of work. Even the headlight doors are different.

actually, the outer (upper and lower) trim pieces off the old style will work (by screwing them in...holes are not there to screw in so may need self-tapping screws), the grille will bolt on directly, then you run into the problem.

the headlight buckets are slightly different, but that's actually not the problem...they work with the old style. what the problem is is that there is nowhere to screw the turn signals to, or secure the outer edges of the headlight doors to. with some inginuity, some thin tin, and a few sheetmetal screws, you could do it in a couple hours AT MOST and NOT have to change your header panel.

oh, and the bumper will need to be off for that mod...you have to drill the new trim pieces.