Inner D35 Seals

I figured it just went in at the outer end of the axle tube before the race right? but it seems slightly too big, unless I have to really tap it in.

DSC00029.JPG

You have to remove the ring and carrier to get to it, they are NOT at the end of the axles. Hence, 'inner' seals.

Oh, ok. How hard is that to get out?

Do I just unbolt the those "brackets" you show already removed in the picture?

And is there anything I need to make sure I don't do putting back together?

Thanks

I figured it just went in at the outer end of the axle tube before the race right? but it seems slightly too big, unless I have to really tap it in.

DSC00029.JPG

You have to remove the ring and carrier to get to it, they are NOT at the end of the axles. Hence, 'inner' seals.

WRONG!

This is for a NON-c-clip axle. The seal is at the outer end of the tube. It is not necessary to remove the ring gear and carrier. It is not necessary to even open the pumpkin.

The seal is a press fit into the outer end of the axle tube. You need a seal driver to install it.

Like this:

9094250_400x400.jpg

Yes. There is an inner oil seal at the end of the axle. I ran into this on my non-c D35 in the '86 diesel. There is an inner seal to keep the axle lube out of the axle shaft bearing, and an outer seal as usual that gets put on before you press the bearing on.

http://comancheclub.com/topic/34717-what-the-hell-lubes-the-bearings-dana-35-non-c/

Rob

DSC00029.JPG

WRONG!

This is for a NON-c-clip axle. The seal is at the outer end of the tube. It is not necessary to remove the ring gear and carrier. It is not necessary to even open the pumpkin.

The seal is a press fit into the outer end of the axle tube. You need a seal driver to install it.

I stand corrected, sorry.

• 1 month later...

Ok so i know this is a old post but I hope somebody still sees this.....

So I have gear oil dripping (more like a small river) out of the passenger side of the front axle where the axle shaft slides into the axle housing. I look inside and I can see oil all the way down the axle.....So does this mean the inner seal (inside the pumpkin) is bad AND the outer seal is bad? or just the outer seal that is bad? 

Also how do I tell if it is "clipped" or not?

The OP was working on a D35 rear axle, not a D30 front. See the link in Jeepdriver's second post above. It illustrates inner seal installation tools for a D30. Try Googling "D30 front axle" or something similar. Somebody probably has a YouTube video on rebuilding one.

Ok so i know this is a old post but I hope somebody still sees this.....

So I have gear oil dripping (more like a small river) out of the passenger side of the front axle where the axle shaft slides into the axle housing. I look inside and I can see oil all the way down the axle.....So does this mean the inner seal (inside the pumpkin) is bad AND the outer seal is bad? or just the outer seal that is bad? 

Also how do I tell if it is "clipped" or not?

This thread is about a Dana 35 rear axle. Your question is about a Dana 30 front axle. They are completely different. I believe you have an older front axle with the passenger side disconnect. If that's correct, there is no seal at the diff housing on the passenger side -- the seal is located at the point where the disconnect housing is located, so diff lube can lubricate the sliding disconnect mechanism.

Since you already have another thread open to discuss your problem, I'm closing this one.