Will Not Run Over 1500 Rpm

hey guys i just put in a 96 grand Cherokee engine in my 88 comanche. i put a egr block on the intake.  but when i start it and it idles down it runs smooth and sounds good. when i hit the gas and it gets to about 1500-2000 rpm it back fires out the exhaust and won't rev any higher. would any one have any ideas what this might be? also when i unplug the vac to the map sensor it runs really rough but will then rev up to about 3000 before it back fires/.

Did you swap distributors?  They are different between the Renix and HO ones.  But, assuming you did, make sure you set it down in the block correctly.  I found this out the hard way.  SAME symptoms you're describing.  I was one tooth off on my timing and had to redo it.  Referred to the following. 

great news!!! i was one tooth off, even with this post when  put it in it didnt look right, but hey it runs now so THANK YOU so much!!!! i wouldnt have tried that i don't think because it looked dead on before. also I'm am running the 88 flywheel and distributor. i port matched the head some, i went about halve way on each runner, but as this was the first time doing anything like that and not having the proper tools i didnt wanna get into a water jacket or mess the head up. so i opened it some. 

thank you guys again, you have helped me before and now again!!!! i was so frustrated!!!! :doh:  :???:  :mad:  :headpop: