Took A Break From My Jeep Projects..... Stupid Cup Holder Elimination And Cb Install Dodge Ram

Some time back, I traded in my '02 Dodge Cummins Dually for an '04 Cummins Dually, and more recently, an '11 Cummins Dually.  Love the '11 but over time found some things that irritated me like the duck-tail tailgate, huge dually fenders that make reaching into the bed impossible, and..... the damn cupholders.  Drinks get caught under the edge of the dash over the cup holder, and the shift lever sticks out so much that you can knock the drink out of your hand as you bring the cup up from the holder.  Large drinks don't sit in them without the top of the drink resting against the dash leaving it at an angle.  UGH.

WHY did they do away with the awesome adjustable drink holders!!!!! :mad:

I used to be able to hit the 7-11 and get a couple of 32 oz Gatoraids and set 'em side by side in the dash drink holder...... now I have just a couple of holes that are only big enough for a medium sized fast food cup..... all SEVEN of the holders, not a one that will hold a large drink........WTF?

This is a "medium" drink.........

What I had in the '02 and '04:

c8f1_1_sbl.JPG

What I got:

7000_st0640_066.jpg?w=530

I'm returing the damn thing.

:D

Took me a while, but I finally fixed the cup holder issue......

Ordered a nifty add-on to the center console with better cup holders from Geno's Garage.  Much better location, but it required modification with a Dremel to fit right......

Since I already had the Dremel out and still hadn't installed my CB yet.... I gave up on Jeep projects and spent some quality time on my DD. 

Eff that stupid cup holder.......

It was a pretty tight fit.  Had to get a 90 degree antenna connector adaptor for the back of the CB and with the mic jack being on the front of it, I'll have to leave the mic stored when not in use.  But overall, I like it! :thumbsup:

I took 600 grit sand paper to it already.  Didn't take any close pics after sanding.  Problem is all around that edge, the plastic had bracing fins that had to be cut (the white vertical lines you see) and the plastic was "wavy" along that edge from the narrow channel in the mold, like when the plastic was poured, it set quickly and was lumpy - essentially, the thickness of the plastic is very inconsistent.  The edge is as good as it's gonna get without painting it.  I thought about running a propane torch around the edge to see if it would get rid of the chalky appearance from the sanding...... might still do that.  

• 3 weeks later...