Is the 2.5l worth buying?

Simple Man

I'm looking for a clean MJ to build up and I've come across a four cylinder. My question is wether it's worth building or should I wait for a 4.0l?

If the milage is that much better and it wheels okay, I could probably put up with low freeway power. It's listed as having a 4 speed trans.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

The 4-cylinder is a good engine, but if it has a 4-speed that means it's a 2WD, and it means it has 3.54 gears. It also means an early year MJ -- not a problem if it's an 87 or newer, but if it's an 86 the engine compartment is subtly different, which makes converting to a 4.0L engine later more difficult. (Not impossible, just adds another layer of modifications you would be happier avoiding.)

car-part.com and my brochures list the 4 speed manual as available in 4wd through 91, but if that's accurate, they are a rare breed for sure.

Careful on tire size if you plan to ever go bigger, as the 2.5Ls are more sensitive than the more powerful 4.0L.

Jeep on!

--Pete

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The 4-cylinder is a good engine, but if it has a 4-speed that means it's a 2WD, and it means it has 3.54 gears.

on JeepForum, someone said the the 4.10 gears are used with the 2.5L

Here under gearing.

so which is it? 3.54 or 4.10

4.10s were used with the 2.5L and 5-speed manual tranny. The 4-speeds got 3.54s. I own one and I have double-verified the ratio.

That's a good summery of specifications, but I've reviewed it in the past and there are numerous errors.

awesome! i have the 4spd but planned on swaping ing a 5spd. i guess ill be gettin killer fuel milage now! some told me the the 4 and 5 spds use different clutches. is this true? will i have to get new clutch with the 5spd or can i use my existing clutch(which is also newish)