'Ratmanche' the '88 Comanche

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've been changing the color every year lately. It is closest to Sarge Green.

I really prefer the Rescue Green ... But I'm not able to afford that kind of coin for a utility vehicle paint job.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Anyone reading this have suggestions for a turn down off the muffler ... My exhaust is rotten from the muffler back so I was thinking of either putting an elbow off the muffler or pushing it out the passenger bedside. As in the rear hanger has a piece of pipe flapping in the hole where it used to attach, made on hell of a racket when I pulled into the parking compound.

Not sure if the muffler is toast too (if it is I'll probably replace it with a simple and bombproof glass pack).

Well, now I'm stumped, swapped the springs and shackles out. Made new leaf packs out of ...

Comanche 4wd main, unknown long leaf I pulled out a an XJ bastard pack, Dakota main cut down Comanche 4wd remainders.

Measured everything again, and again, and the axle measures like it should, perches 42" on center, evenly spaced between the backing plates. Yet when it's back down the suspension is shifting to the drivers side nearly and inch.

I originally thought the spring or the GM lowering shackle was twisted (albeit the stock 2wd springs do look like they have some side bowing). But now, dunno, guess I'm just going to have to live with it at this point.

Iirc I remember someone mentioning that the ford 8.8 pumpkin is offset to one side...maybe the shop measure from center of the pumpkin and went 21"/whatever amount matches the 42" over to each side to set the perches...that could be the reason why one side to set closer than the other....

Here's a write up mentioning it being offset...

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/8.8axle/8.8axle-1.htm

Yep, it's definitely offset.. I've got an 8.8 under my XJ.  Each shaft is a different length.. Not by much, but enough to throw you off.

Well think I got it locked, seems to be settling in towards center. Hammered the u-bolts tight (to the point they splayed (1/2" ubolts). And torqued it all down to 90ftlbs.

Going to loosen the lower (spring to shackle) bolt to 70 later today. But the upside is the new spring pack gives me the load rate I wanted and the new axle is also up to the task. The old 2wd springs were definitely plush, Cadillac plush. Probably going to pull the overload from the 2wd pack, swap in for the one on the new packs, and ditch the load assist shocks for just some plain old shocks.

Meh, just going for simple this go around. Chop it at the good stuff, glass pack and a turndown just behind the cab. Then I'll deal with it properly later. I still have to finish painting the old beast yet. Sometimes shift work has it's drawbacks.

Although it was kinda funny how I could just bent the tailpipe out of the way to torque the shackle bolts, then bend it right back afterwards.

Well, chopped the exhaust off just behind the Crossmember. Added a thrush glass pack and a turndown off that with a hanger added off the rear cab corner brace.

Actually doesn't sound too bad. I'll readdress it at a later date (want to tuck it up tight and maybe add something with a less aggressive sound) but this fits my need 's for now and let's me move on to other parts of the truck.

Had the worn out BFG JK takeoffs on the front swapped for a pair of 70% Wrangler MTR's I scored yesterday. Now I just need to find a cheap 17" wheel with a 5 on 4.5" or close bolt pattern so I can have a spare again.

And .... Got another partial day to hit the MJ with something akin to paint.

Weather started spitting on me yet again. Started out great in the AM, but by the time I was all masked and prepped again ... Things started heading south yet again.

Still have the header, cowl, and the hood, 1/2 the roof needs a second coat again (wind picked up halfway though the roof). Tossed some rocker guard on the lower body line. Starting to look good.

New to me MTR's are on the front.

Need to decide on a color for the wheels next and pull the front bumper for a coat of rocker guard.

4f55e41177592def19aca7940a49d38f.jpg

I'm going to be swapping the doors soon so they haven't had anything done.

Got a little more clean breaks and shot a bit more paint.

Thinking to hit the hood with some stripes, going to pull the header to paint it. Then time to clear the rest of it.

1c8653a635f90ed1d64886476ddee9ee.jpg

Managed to get some of the hood shot during a lull in the weather.

Need to reshoot some of the green again, was too soft and the tape lifted some spots since it was on too long for the heat...

Did a modification to my original plan on the fly and decided on a multistripe pattern.

Thinking of doing two contrasting color stripes U'd on the front header and run back to the windshield (so I have to pull and paint the cowl again).

Almost thinking red, and then paint the tow hooks to match. Or maybe orange/umber.

3418db69e15142a922dcba04067a41d9.jpg

Little more time added ...

Used flexi-dip for the stripe ... That way I can peel it off when I decide I don't like it.

aa4f4a497c1fd78fc5ffb18a8a1dddfc.jpg

022efd2cd7f22bb69b39e8b9066b90a5.jpg

Not sure what I want to do with the two white striped areas now, thinking it would be too much red really. Thinking I'll paint them the same background green.

As for the wheels, I'm thinking Bronze ... Just seems to go with the green. Anyone good at photoshop?

Re-torqued the suspension again, 80 at the shackle/frame and 70ft-lbs at the spring, front is 100ft-lbs.

Hammered the u-bolts tight again, doesn't looks to be too far off now, maybe a good 1/2" or so now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can definitely say ... I like the bronze with this color. Finished the base except for the doors, need to swap those anyway. I'll paint them off the truck.

Tried some patterns with the red flexi-dip ... I think I'll peel it all and make it more permanent ... I like it.

I think she'll look good once in a clear.

e105ebb2ce83a9a56c903860df136193.jpg

74308a30d1c6270e713c18b0c5820e94.jpg

Oh, and I plan to bedline the box, and rear quarter to match the front/mid as well.

Swapped in a 93 passenger door after painting. Still have to add the stock towing style mirrors yet, rocker guard the bottom of the door and swap the lock cylinder (have to get a set of spare re-opened to the IGN key).

Probably going to swap the window when I tackle all that since the on in this door is pretty scratched up, but I have a few clear spares so no big deal.

Fighting the weather so doing it in small portions. Seems by the time I get a section masked and prepped the wind likes to kick up. Guess I need to stop messing about and pull all the front panels individually to save all that masking off crap.

581b21bad6b5969eeaef569ba0b91e79.jpg

Anyone have any tips for when adding the door brace for the mirrors into does that aren't drilled? Looks like the doors all had the lower holes but going to have to do a crap ton of measuring to get the door skin holes located correctly. Thinking I may add the odd door frame hole so I can run a bit from the inside (is possible).

Starting to get good at door disassembly/reassembly and mounting solo. Not really a skill I had planned to get good at. New door fits better that the old factory door.

Well the Peugeot Trans has developed a high pitched squeal ... I guess 248,000kms and pulling near max load is finally catching up with it.

At least I think it's the trans, makes a very high pitch squeal under load, in 3,4,5. Sounds like tinnitus (squealing in your ear). Like dry bearing squeal.

Guess I'm looking a full driveline swap soonish.

So ripped the rear axle out again ... Pulled the bottom leaf off the 4wd spring packs and added the 2wd overload leaf in. Cut the spring perches down (1.5" off the front and 1" off the rear of each) as they were too long, being anti-spam perches better suited to SOA applications. Seems to have done the trick and the spring doesn't need to "flatten out" to mount up now. Width is now slightly longer that stock perches (about 1/2" all at the rear side). Now begins the long process of drive, torque, drive, torque while everything settles again.

Added the door mirror (and inner brace) back onto the passenger side door, never realized how much I used my mirrors until it was gone. Swapped all the best of my spares in since the door had to be near fully disassembled to add the inner braces in.

Took two lock cylinders in to get re-keyed to my current IGN key. Driver side door turned out to be more banged up than expected ... Might just run with it until I find a better replacement though.

Pulled the hood for clear coating (painted the center stipe black - was getting too "busy" looking), but it was too hot even in the evening and the clear dried too quickly ... Will do it again later towards fall when the Temps drop a bit. Added 3/4" of spacer to the hood hinge when I bolted it back on.

Going to add the red tapered stripes on the sides back in when I redo the hood's clear coat later on.

Go the doors painted and swapped across. No more two key dealy for me. Slapped the Comanche stickers on (had jeepsticker.com make them in marine reflective).

Now just have to clear coat the A-pillar, roof, header and fenders. But at least she all one color now.