Tranny Shiftin Without Button Pressed On Shifter

postin this for my brother cause between me, my dad and him he can't figure out where to start, got a 89 comanche eliminator sunday (project truck) but the transmission can be shifted without pressin in the button on the shifter, its a automatic (don't know the speed) and 2wd, any ideas? like i said we haven't got a clue and also haven't attempted to look due to puttin the 4.0L back together,

Redwolf

It's not a huge issue but there is a clip that connects the rod that runs down the shifter handle to a locking mechanism built into the shifter assembly below the cover/console. If the clip isn't broken, it's likely just sitting in the bottom of the assembly and can be snapped back on.

It's also possible that the plastic bits in the "T" handle broke but if the button still springs in/out when pressed then the handle is ok.

You can check out this link for pics of what the assembly looks like:

http://www.xj-project.com/2011/06/06/instructions-on-removing-the-automatic-shifting-assembly-for-a-1997-2001-cherokee-xj/

Haven't got a clue, huh?

Put the shifter into 1-2. Pull the knob off. Remove the bezel that shows the gear indicator. See if the lock at the bottom is not working . 

It's not a huge issue but there is a clip that connects the rod that runs down the shifter handle to a locking mechanism built into the shifter assembly below the cover/console. If the clip isn't broken, it's likely just sitting in the bottom of the assembly and can be snapped back on.

It's also possible that the plastic bits in the "T" handle broke but if the button still springs in/out when pressed then the handle is ok.

You can check out this link for pics of what the assembly looks like:

http://www.xj-project.com/2011/06/06/instructions-on-removing-the-automatic-shifting-assembly-for-a-1997-2001-cherokee-xj/

thanks both of yall, it'll be the last thing we work on due to just wantin to get the engine back together and have this thing start and run,

Redwolf

A question and a piece of advice....

1) You sure it is an automatic?  :dunno:

2) Don't bother buying new brake lights, pads, shoes, drums or rotors until the 4L starts.  :thumbsup:

It's pretty simple when you know how the 'shifter' works. You push your button in and it moves the tab so you can change the gear section...Yours is just worn down enough that is can move without pushing in the tab out of the way.

A question and a piece of advice....

1) You sure it is an automatic?  :dunno:

2) Don't bother buying new brake lights, pads, shoes, drums or rotors until the 4L starts.  :thumbsup:

1. yes i'm sure, i drive a stick and my parents have had automatics since i was born, and 2. no duh 

It's pretty simple when you know how the 'shifter' works. You push your button in and it moves the tab so you can change the gear section...Yours is just worn down enough that is can move without pushing in the tab out of the way.

is that a simple easy to get to repair?

Redwolf