Heater Core Purge At Car Wash

64 Cheyenne

This is not really a DIY cause I didn't take any pics or have any intention of doing a write up.

But boy did it sure work good.

A little info first:

88 MJ Chief, 4.0 Renix.

Converted to "open" cooling system with radiator cap in line, in top radiator hose.

Still using Renix radiator.

Removed heater water valve, ran straight hoses from engine to firewall.

(Common mod doing away with the water valve.

Problem was I wasn't getting very much heat out of the heater, and I heard of pulling both heater lines at the car wash

and back flowing the core with pressure. Today I tried it, at first I was worried about too much pressure. but I remembered from hydroblasting that there was little volume to high pressure. When you insert the carwash wand into the heater hose, you are going from little hose to big hose = major pressure drop. I pushed the wand into the return side, as far as it would go, kissed the trigger a few times, then I full on rocked it. Actually had large water volume with low pressure.

You should have seen the amount of crud that came out, impressive. Kept the water running full on till it ran clear. I was worried that I would cause the heater core to leak, well it didn't; if it did, I would just be replacing one that was plugged any way, so no loss if it did.

After hooking the hoses back up, refilling and a purge....HEATED VERY HOT AIR.

I recommend this if you have low heat, I would also be weary that this could cause your heater core to leak, if it was very old and "ready to go out".

Time needed for this at the car wash, ten minutes, way worth the time and effort.

Good point.

Not to say that a minimal amount never ever gets spilt on the ground on accident either.

Wouldn't think the amount in the heater core is a significant amount...

As far as the environment goes, are car washes really a good idea, the amount of crud they wash off of cars

eg: "underbody wash" at the car wash, how much fluids and oils are washed off from that. I think many more people

do an "underbody wash" than do a heater core purge. I guess if I lived someplace like Californistan, I'd do this at home

in a bucket with my pressure washer to be the most ecologically correct, and keep everybody happy.

Good point.

Not to say that a minimal amount never ever gets spilt on the ground on accident either.

As far as the environment goes, are car washes really a good idea, the amount of crud they wash off of cars

eg: "underbody wash" at the car wash, how much fluids and oils are washed off from that. I think many more people

do an "underbody wash" than do a heater core purge. I guess if I lived someplace like Californistan, I'd do this at home

in a bucket with my pressure washer to be the most ecologically correct, and keep everybody happy.

Heck my big concern was how you found an open car wash with running water in Montana in December....  :yes:

Good point.

Heck my big concern was how you found an open car wash with running water in Montana in December....  :yes:

42* f today, T shirt weather, gets any warmer and I'm gonna get the Sporty out again....

It was 18 degrees and we had 14" of snow here on the day I wrote that.