2.5L Power Upgrades

My 2.5l does ok. currently its just got a cold air intake,a flowmaster, no cat, dual E fans, and 4.88s in the axles. (The 4.88s made the biggest difference).

I just picked up a header, a Mopar performance stage 3 purple cam, and I'm going to 5.38 gears.

also contemplating doing a MPFI swap since we are currently doing a V8s swap on a 95 2.5l YJ.

Should move pretty well when its all done.

I'm on the search too. Right now I'm looking into bigger injectors. I hear you can take a 4.0 throttle body and out it on a 2.5, havent tried it yet. I also think that switching to a electric fan would help.

Unless you want to spend like $3000 to get a turbo kit for it :brows:

Am I the only one bothered by this statement?

The 86-90 4 cylinders have NOTHING in common with the 4.0.  You cannot swap the throttle bodies or any parts in between for the one pure and simple fact that the 86-90 4 cylinder is throttle body fuel injection.

The statement of popping a 4.0 throttle body only applies with like-year 4 cylinders and 4.0's from 91 and up, because they are both multi port fuel injection.

Indeed i was wrong wasnt thinking about it. At that time I was thinking of three differnt engines. I know that mine is Thrtolle body injected. Later on the line I found a Multi Port that I want to install in it on down the road.

It was late at night and I guess i stared to combine engines and stuff together, my bad.

• 2 years later...

Just by looking at the mpfi renix 2.5 style alternator may need to be relocated with renix bracket or a new pulley to change serpentine to old v-belt system.  The obvious computer, dash cluster, harness, fuse block, plug and play etc. I am doing the mpfi swap! I hear a lot of talk and no pictures, I know someone has done this before or tried. Is it more simple to replace as whole drivetrain and what of new trans sensors. Does the intake even fit? ax-4 has a speedo cable and no sensors, does the crank sensor read the teeth on fly wheel the same? Anyone with experience in this please enlighten me. I don't like blindly slapping parts in the dark.

You have to strip the engine down basically to a long block then redress it as a MPI,even down to the timing cover has to be swapped.

Your existing head will accept the MPI manifold,you also must use the MPI flywheel.

It is much easier to bolt in a complete MPI engine if you can.