Pouring Tailight Molds

I separated the taillights super easy heat gun and viola! Next step to make the rubber molds and I will have clear taillights this all started when I was in Laredo Texas spotted a guy with some clear tails on a Comanche started talking to him and he told me how he done it so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can pull this off hope these pics work just signed up for photo bucket had skydrive but that doesn't work

Well as you guys can tell just a little heat and they come right off but if you try to do this heat the housing not the tailight itself gonna do this with no vacuum old school way just a simple rubber mold and clear resin like this guy told me if you want them original you would have to paint them from the inside reason being you can only go with one color using this method the clear for reverse square wouldn't be possible without injection so that's why I'm going all clear but you could go any color just add dye

I mean this is definitely gonna be trial and error not so much the molds but the right amount of transparency like he was telling me he poured 3 sets before he got it right don't want them to clear like glass but about like the clear corners you can already buy

Sounds like your light on material from my calculations about 350-400 plus time but if it comes out cheaper I will let you guys know hopefully I'll talk to them Monday I hear their customer service is excellent so I will give them the dimensions and some pics and see what they think I will keep you guys posted

Sure I'm def gonna do a step by step post I'm hoping to order materials this week and possibly start next weekend but understand this is a learning experience for me also and happy to get anyone's input on the process luckily I got a guys contact info that has pulled this off and willing to help me out

I learned about Alumalite from my brother the artist, who has been doing castings with it for over 10 years now. He just started using silicone for his molds last year; I designed him a simple vacuum chamber to draw the bubbles out of the silicone mixture used to make the molds (works great). Any questions you have I can bounce off him - he uses opaque Alumalite but says the clear product handles similarly.

I've been scouring tail lights for about a year now, trying to come up with a solution.

After I get my rear bumper done.....

I'm considering making a fiberglass mold to make up filler panels for the rear lights. A panel that can be epoxied in and bondoed over, this way the body is not permanently altered.

Looking possibly  to the HH lights or something similar.

LEDT353CB.jpg

It may be worthwhile to look into 3D printing. You will need a CAD model. The 3D printer at work does not have clear nor red, or I'd try it. I know clear (or red) is available. Work made some clear electronic enclosures but spent $1000+. I'm not sure if someone shopped around, if prices have dropped as this technology expands.

Oyaji I appreciate the insight I will post what I get out of Alumalite today would love to do the 3d printing just don't know of anyone in my area do in it but that was actually a thought I had a while back if you know someone pls let me know its just a little on the expensive side from what I've seen

• 3 years later...