Drop pitman arm?

Well another cheap idea would be to just drill the hole straight thru and use Hiem joints and bolts with nuts on the knuckle to flip it. I guess that would save money but you would have to I mean HAVE to check the bolts As often as You can to insure they are tight. I wouldn't really recommend it without some of the other guys saying its good but its a Idea i had for mine before i decided to go the Go-fer-it way. if you get the right Hiems they may go right in your stock linkage but they can be noisy. Just another of many ideas

Cole

No heims for me - thanks.

Dirty- Are you speaking all of this hypothetically, or from experience? Right now, I'm leaning toward the track bar bracket and a ZJ pitman arm, maybe upgrading to the ZJ tie rod while I'm at it, cause I'll source it from the junkyard. BTW, for the flip inserts, I don't think you are supposed to taper it, they have a taper on the inside, you just have to drill out the knuckle straight through. I'm going to go look at my truck today, and see what looks possible, what looks like I'd have to change to get it all to iron out.

Dirty- Are you speaking all of this hypothetically, or from experience? Right now, I'm leaning toward the track bar bracket and a ZJ pitman arm, maybe upgrading to the ZJ tie rod while I'm at it, cause I'll source it from the junkyard. BTW, for the flip inserts, I don't think you are supposed to taper it, they have a taper on the inside, you just have to drill out the knuckle straight through. I'm going to go look at my truck today, and see what looks possible, what looks like I'd have to change to get it all to iron out.

Hypothetically. I wouldn't ever modify the inverted-y stuff. IMHO it belongs in the trash. It never works right. But, this is coming from a guy with an inverted T setup that the tie rod has been cut down and welded back together, and the drag link has been cut down and has a heim on one end.

And a tapered fluted reamer drills a straight hole. Or a hole with about a 2* degree taper if you don't go all the way through (it's not ment to do that). But, it'll go through spring steel so the knuckles won't be any harder.

Offroader461- Nice Chief by the way :cheers: I say we start a "CCC" - That's "Comanche Chief Club" for the rest of you..... We can be the founding fathers.....

Anyway, IIRC, you just finished your SOA right? Have you been driving it much with the steering set up as you described? Any highway driving?

I just pulled a ZJ pitman from the junkyard today - cost me all of $5 - no tie rods though, they were all gone. I've got an adjustable trackbar from the PO, so I'm gonna try to find a bracket and rod end that will fit it. Right now it has the TRE on it. I'm hoping TnT, maybe Rockkrawler, and possibly Rusty's if nothing else works out.

could you run the JCR one ton setup OTK by reaming out from the top instead of the bottom?

Yeah. But you have to tell them or they'll ream the one TRE the wrong way.

I didn't mention it as a possibility because this is supposed to be cheap. The JCR setup is a good price though. Part's mike also does a similar one.

cheifjosh..thanks alot it getting there...that would be cool to do that CCC ha thats sounds awesome :cheers: yours is great looking also

i would go with the rockkrawler bracket...i have a tierod end on my procomp trackbar but you can spin it sideways and it works with that bracket...when i install mine ill post up pics of my setup

I'm trying not to be OT, but could you also flip your tie rod on your MJ by using an upper arm/rod from a RHD XJ? Would there be any problems with doing that? I've been thinking about it some since there's a RHD XJ in the local junkyard. (I will have a 5" lift on my new XJ)

How bad will bumpsteer become if one was to swap out their pitman arm but keep their track-bar in the stock location?

Well. Theoretically there will be 'some' bumpsteer. If all your TREs are nice and tight I bet it would only be a slight left turning tendency on most road bumps - probably not very noticable. It's not a very big difference, and the stock inverted-y steering isn't perfect to begin with, I don't think.

As the TREs loosen up it'll become more noticeable as you'll have more wander to begin with.

But the problem with it is if you get into any sort of washboard. It'll produce a feeling that you really don't EVER want. Also, it causes funky steering while flexed. You'll be able to turn one way far more than the other...

I'm not sure. I haven't done it. Personally if I was to, I'd do the track bar too. It's just 'good form'.

Fiscus- You're right, you can do that. But, as it shouldn't surprise you, then you run into a whole nother slew of problems. Read Go-Jeep's write up on it. He has a RHD, and used a LHD drag-link for his set up. That was one option I was refering to about too much fabrication.

I like the JCR setup, and I've heard a lot of good things from those guys, but I just can't swing the cash...