Cutting the rocker Panel

Can I cut out my rocker panel and weld a piece of 3x6 box steel to the pinch seem and a tube from the frame behind the cab, make sense? a buddy of mine did this on his cherokee but said its impossible on a comanche because the bed flexes from the cab. but I'm not welding to the bed just the frame rail and pinch seem. so can i do this? cause i already bought my steel.

Can I cut out my rocker panel and weld a piece of 3x6 box steel to the pinch seem and a tube from the frame behind the cab, make sense? a buddy of mine did this on his cherokee but said its impossible on a comanche because the bed flexes from the cab. but I'm not welding to the bed just the frame rail and pinch seem. so can i do this? cause i already bought my steel.

Speaking from hear say, I say, Yes.

This is the best thing about the comanche compared to other trucks. First the design comes from the XJ's unibody construction which is inherently stiffer and better riding than a seperate frame (just take a ride in a ford exploder then a cherokee the diff is obvious) Because the cherokee is built around a slightly beefed up cherokee unibody frame we don't see the frame flex (not bed flex although some flex is attributed to the rubber biscuits the beds are mounted on). This makes it possible to weld to the pinch seam if you want to and achieve a stiffer truck overall you might consider welding the bed to the frame completely if you don't intend to remove it again. just take a look at the cher/manches its the same basic concept.

Duner... I think You are off on this one a lil. The reason why the my is stiffer is the fact that after the cab our frames doubles in height as well as thickness. as for the frame flexing... I guess you have never lifted your rig and supported it in the middle yet :eek:

yeah, it certainly flexes, when in the rocks I can see the bed mooving in relation to the cab.

I like the cut and box rocker, check out www.madxj.com for a good writeup on two different styles.

Lostissues:

That looks good, and super strong, but don't those supports grab rocks?