Alldatta , Mitchell Etc... What Do You Use ?

86FUBAR

So i work for a relativly small school district on all everything from buses , trucks and chainsaws so were not a shop out to make money or anything but we still try to keep up with the jones so about 5 or 6 years ago we started using alldata which is not to bad but it seems when they did a software up date 8 or 10 months ago or so they changed their whole format which seemed to squash there quality of help they provided .  For instance i was looking for a break down on how to remove a heater core in one of our vehicles to get an idea on time etc... and all they basicly said was step 1) Drain coolant ,step 2) remove old heater core ,step 3) installation in reverse order . I mean what the hell is that ! am I asking for to much ? and the more Iv been needing to use it the more it seems to be lacking the proper info I need and I don't rightly recall it being so bad in the past . It does have some good info at times and is better than a chiltons but but for the amount we pay for there services id expect a little more .

So what do yall use ? i only have ever used Alldata (or as i call it at times "Somedata") but have herd of Mitchell and I'm not sure if they offer what Alldata does , Iv glanced at there website and it looks like they offer some kind of shop manager data base or something which is not what i need but is there something else out there like Alldata but better?  thanks.

I use Alldata daily. I am a Fleet Tech for a municipal fleet, so we have a grouping of makes and models, as well as using it for our personal lookups. I don't know if the swap you are describing is similar to the disc based - to internet based swap we did, but it sounds similar. I couldn't tell much of a difference because I adapted quick, but my co-worker really hates it. The drop down menu's and folders that go with the internet end make it harder for him to navigate.

FWIW, the Ford dealer I used to work at also used Alldata. That also being said, if I use Ford's online manuals since I still have access, I find the descriptions are about word for word at times. The only real benefit of the Ford stuff is the wiring diagrams. All those numbers and connectors and such are all live links on the Ford end, and will open up connector locations, pinouts, and other legs of the diagram without having to hunt for them.

Rob

Ya over the years iv noticed that most of what you find on alldata is copied straight out of the factory service books when iv compared and Alldata still is better than fliping through a book but I was just curious if there was something else better out there , owell i guess ill just stick with what we got .

AT the Chrysler Mazda dealer I work at we also have Alldata. I find Chryslers service info is great and has the linkable wiring diagrams for the newer models, but mazda on the other hand has horrible service info. I find it easier to use alldata for mazda stuff beacuse its better organized and has basically word for word procedures, but Mazda is also one of those like described with the heater core... remove dash, remove heater core, reistall in reverse order. Its up to you to go search for dash and trim removal procedures. I didnt know Mitchell had a service like this till the other day. The guy that mentioned it said it was much better than alldata, but I really have no experience with it.