Transfer case drop kits?

I finally started to look into these drop kits. Has any had any adverse experience from dropping the trans this way? linkage issues with the tranfercase? motor issues? or manual trans shifters?

Yeah,

I'm not having any problems with my shaft alignments just wondering if this was a necessary mod for the mj. I could see where an xj or wrangler would benefit from this. It was just something that I was pondering while underneath the truck the other day.

It depends on the amount of lift you are going to use. I have ~6.5" with spring over rear plus 2" add a leaf and coils up front. I have about an inch of engagement now with the transfer case and almost slips out at full flex. So depending on the lift whether you would need the drop kit or not.

It depends on the amount of lift you are going to use. I have ~6.5" with spring over rear plus 2" add a leaf and coils up front. I have about an inch of engagement now with the transfer case and almost slips out at full flex. So depending on the lift whether you would need the drop kit or not.

try to find a YJ slip yoke as they are a little longer and could help keep it from slipping out.

try to find a YJ slip yoke as they are a little longer and could help keep it from slipping out.

Nope, and nope.

Firstly, a drop kit of 1" is NOT going to help having too short of a driveshaft. It might band-aid it so you think it's alright - till you hammer on the throttle dragging the diff. Then you'll realize why $120 to have the driveshaft lengthened isn't so bad.

Also, a drop kit tilts the whole drivetran. No big deal right? Well, the front yoke on the tcase is now pointing UP - towards your floor. The front driveshaft is shorter, and sees more articulation inherently due to the front pumpkin being offset and jeep's 5-link front. So, you'll possibly bind the front shaft and have LOTS of fun.

And you also defeated the purpose of a lift with this mod. Now your belly is lower. And vulnerable.

Secondly, the YJ slip-yoke is NO LONGER than a MJ/XJ one. It however has a deeper cut to the yoke allowing for a greater operating angle. Useful? Not really on a MJ with leaf springs and stock wheelbase, but if I didn't have a SYE I'd probably use one anyways.

i have my tcase dropped in my xj. it works fine i guess meaning there is no driveline viberation, but it also is more prone to getting hung up on rocks and stuff, so i have a skid plate on it.

the only thing wrong with it is it seems that my motor mounts have worn faster from the engine being tilted back. its not a huge deal considering they are the original ones at 90k, but that is the only adverse thing that has happened.

i have my tcase dropped in my xj. it works fine i guess meaning there is no driveline viberation, but it also is more prone to getting hung up on rocks and stuff, so i have a skid plate on it.

I hang my crossmember on things without a drop on it.

Like stated, a t-case drop is for vibes, not d-shaft length adjustment. You need to get your d-shaft extended.

i put a t-case drop kit on my mj (local offroad shop said it would help) and i didnt notice any difference. but to stay cheep i found a longer slip yoke so i didnt have to get a new drive shaft.