Trans Cooler Install (With Pics And Part Numbers)

I saw these threads for Cherokees but not a Comanche, so I thought that I'd post it up.  This was VERY simple (save for an adapter issue- more on that below) and took about 45 minutes.

Backstory-

I have a 1987 BMW 325 that I race in RallyCross events (and I hope to use for HPDE events), but it is not registered for the street so it gets dolly-towed.  Since I tow the e30 everywhere that it goes (really just Summit Point) and my only tow vehicle is  my 1988 Jeep Comanche, I decided to upgrade the Comanche a bit and add a trans cooler.  The truck only has 96K, but the extra safety margin is worth the cost.

So first, the parts:

Hayden/Imperial Transmission Oil Cooler: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_high-performance-transmission-oil-cooler-imperial_3670013-p?cm_mmc=ET-_-Trans-_-Confirmation-_-General#utm_source=et&utm_medium=trans&utm_campaign=confirmation&utm_content=general  $67 but I paid $47 with a $20 off $50 coupon code.

Hayden 391 fitting kit: http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automotive-391-Transmission-Fitting/dp/B000EPPFMY (see below for info on my issues with this)

I also had lots of trans fluid and I ended up needing to make some small spacers to prevent the lines from interfering with end of the radiator.  I'll explain.

So the process was easy.  First, I removed the grille and headlight door (pass side only) for access:

Had I not had a brush guard, this would have been easier.  Next, I went through the removal of existing line from the upper radiator point.  This required 2 wrenches- 1 for the line and 2 fo rthe radiator fitting.  I tried to just remove the line but it began to twist.  I sprayed it with PB Blaster and let it sit for 15 minutes and then it came right off:

So here is the issue with the Hayden 391 kit...

At that point in the install there was a 4-week delay as there was a quality control issue with the Hayden fitting kit that was supposed to attach the trans cooler to my Jeep lines.  I had the fitting kit and got everything apart, then I (wisely) test-fitted the fitting kit on the line and the radiator before mating the lines to the fittings.  They are supposed to be a male and female 45-degree 5/8" thread fitting.  One of them fit the vehicle- the other did not.  I should have known, as the 2 fittings would not screw into each other when I was playing around with the kit before the install even started.

Long story short, the fittings in the packages that I bought (and bought, and bought) never matched up with each other or the truck- and it was never the same ones that did NOT match.  I ordered a replacement set- same issue but now the opposite fitting worked.  I finally got a pair (from 2 different packs) that were the correct- by ordering multiple sets and mixing a male from one, a female from another.  I was not amused, but Amazon was great about refunding my money.

Anyway...

Cooler fitted:

To get the lines to clear the sheet metal on the driver's side, I had to add a 1/2" spacer between the trans cooler and the radiator.  Maybe this is because I don't have A/C, but the lines would not have worked wihtout making 4 adapters, eahc one 1" square with a 1/4" hole drilled throufgh the middle for the attachment thing-ys.

Lines attached (with the proper 5/8" 45* fittings!!!):

Grille back on:

Buttoned up:

That was it.  I ran it to get it up to temp, checked the fluid level and topped it off again, and considered it a 4-week and 45-minute project done.

Awesome write-up. But I have a question. Would this be good also with the manual transmissions or just mainly the automatics?

Only for automatics. There are no coolant lines on a manual transmission.

Awesome write-up. But I have a question. Would this be good also with the manual transmissions or just mainly the automatics?

Only for automatics. There are no coolant lines on a manual transmission.

....and no pumps to move lubricant/oil

• 6 months later...

I just went with what I could buy off of the shelf locally and get a big discount using the online coupon codes. Had I known that there was an OEM part number available I might have gone that way but I actually had no idea that the Dorman part was an OEM replacement. Good info for the next person, however.