New 'manche Owner, Questions For The Gurus

Hello,

Recently picked up a 1986 4x4 with the 2.5L 5spd option. Here is a pic:

imag0180f.jpg

Questions:

How do I know which transfer case I have? (from online reading and win decoder it says 4x4, part time--so I was thinking np231, but I don't think that is correct)

What are you guys using as a guide to take apart the interior? Haynes, or is there a guide on here? I ordered a FSM off of ebay so I should be good on mechanical information.

Lastly I was wondering if any long toothed members could provide some advice on where to start for a resto, I'm on a budget and looking at bang for buck. It runs/drives currently, but with some pretty bad death wobble from 45-55 mph. Was looking to get steering/suspension components first to tackle this problem. Going under the truck tonight to see what needs to be replaced (but I'm guessing most of it).

Thanks!

Can be a 207 or a 228. There should be a round tag attached to the rear of the case. If it's missing see what it says on the plastic indicator on the shift indicator. If it's a Command Trac you have a 207. If it's a Select trac you have a 228.There should also be a instruction label on the glove box door or the driver side sun visor.

Ahh yes, I am a total noob to 4x4....I looked at the case and it is indeed a NP207 (AM2).

Question: How can I tell if a lift kit is on the truck, those tires are 30", for reference, and the rear is sagging a hair bc there is a full spare engine in the bed. but looking at the front, do you guys think that one is on there, or is that stock height (and at stock height could 30" tires fit?)

BTW, the control arms are stock, so I know it wasn't a major lift, if one at all.

Thanks.

NEW question:

I am redoing the hard lines for the brakes right now, took off the front wheels and noticed that the wheel studs on the passenger side are an ok length (most the the long lugnut threads with the wheel on) but the driver side seems to be about 1/2 inch shorter...I'm telling you, with the wheel on the lugnut only spins about 3 turns before it is tight. It can't be more than a quarter inch threaded into the lugnut.

What gives? why different lenghts on the same axle ?

Thanks!

Retrofitting the studs is not too difficult.  The old studs usually just tap out, the new (longer) studs can be "pulled' ON using a sacrificial 1/2"x20 lug not and a few washers.  I did all 20 on my MJ in an afternoon.  A sweaty afternoon, but an afternoon just the same.

I am going to change out the studs this week...I'll chime in on how difficult the job is (it doesn't look like this truck was ever worked on/the torch haas been my best buddy with all the rust welds)

Next Q (thanks all in advance)

Shouldn't I have a coolant temperature sensor next to the thermostat here:

imag0214ct.jpg

....And would said sensor hook up to this bad boy:

imag0216wh.jpg

Thats on the driver side of the engine bay, below the brake master cylinder.