Adding Ac Questions

First is it doable?

1988 Comanche Sport Truck

2.5L

AX4

Base model

I moved to Savannah so I need AC. I want to keep driving my truck but need AC for that. What do I need and is it possible with a burnt valve on #4?

She stumbles and idle with #4 not firing but once I'm on the gas #4 fires just fine.

What do I need that isn't obvious

Compressor

Belt

Evaporator

Expansion Valve

You can test the evap and condenser by pulling vacuum on system and then closing the isolation valve on the vacuum pump and see if it will hold. I think you can do this on a bench before installing these items.

I did this on my 87 2.5. Adding all the parts isnt bad. The wiring will be a ittle more difficut. In mine, al the connectors under the dash were there and already had the matching wires. Under the hood, the AC clutch wire was there, and the AC pressure switch connector was there, but the wires for the relays and controls werent and I had to make them. I did find a connector on the top of the left fenderwell that was there for "dealer added AC" The wiring diagram for all this was in the downloadable FSM found here on CC. I followed the diagram for the dealer added AC and made the wiring I needed. AND IT ALL WORKED WHEN I WAS DONE! It is possible to do this, just get all your parts together and youll be fine!

Right now I'm in the process of adding AC to '89 XJ so the GF will drive it and not bug me about the heat. The PO owner had removed it for some reason. I'm lucky tho as he only removed everything from the drier forward, leaving the drier and all components under the dash.

Thanks for all the great replies. I'm trying to decide it it would be better/cheaper to pull and engine with AC and have it rebuilt. Then install everything from there. I wish there was someone near Savannah GA who could handle a HO I6 OBD2 swap. I have a guy in Indiana that was going to do it for 1900.

There is nothing wrong with using used components, AS LONG AS THEY ARE OK. Check them before installing. I would recommend getting a new drier and expansion valve. The biggest thing to watch for is moisture. If the system, or any of the components were open for any time moisture will condense in them.