4.0L & Ax-15 (2Wd) From 92Mj

terrawombat

I have the original 4.0L HO engine and a much newer AX-15 (2WD) still sitting in my 1992MJ.  I'd like to yank them out for an engine swap, but will leave them in if the buyer wishes to test drive the vehicle before purchase.  The engine has roughly 250K miles on it - I'm not sure of the exact mileage because the gauge cluster was swapped by the PO and I do not remember the original mileage.  The original cluster had 223K on it and I figure I have put another 15-20K on the truck since I've owned it.  The engine starts right up, has great oil pressure, does not overheat and pulls 18-20MPG on the highway.  It has a slight leak at the RMS but is otherwise clean.  It does have the piston-slap that this generation of engine was known for.

The AX-15 was swapped at some point.  I do not know when.  I do not know how many miles are on it.  I do not know if it was a rebuild or brand new.  What I do know is that it shifts very, very smooth and does not grind in a single gear.  It is by far the best shifting AX-15 I have ever driven...and I have driven quite a few.

I'd like to sell the whole package for $350.  I'm willing to throw in the engine harness and ECU to help someone out with an HO swap in their MJ/XJ.  I cannot, however, part with the interior wiring harness.

Parts located in Queenstown, MD 21658.  Feel free to contact me via PM or at kerrt43@gmail.com

Totally agree. He's an early '89 so it got stuck with the Peugeot. I'll be keeping an eye on this one with fingers crossed that you get tired of it being in your way that you decide to split the engine and trans and sell for dirt-bottom cheap. Until then... good luck with the sale.  :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got some time this weekend and went ahead and started dismantling stuff under the hood.  Can no longer hear the engine run as I've pulled too much stuff off...so I'll lower the price to $300.

Sorry Ben - meant to get back to your PM when you sent it, but it slipped my mind until now.  As much as I'd love to see this AX-15 under Archer, I don't think I'm willing to go through the shipping hassle.  Could change my mind if this thing sits and I run out of space in the garage, though...

Sorry Ben - meant to get back to your PM when you sent it, but it slipped my mind until now.  As much as I'd love to see this AX-15 under Archer, I don't think I'm willing to go through the shipping hassle.  Could change my mind if this thing sits and I run out of space in the garage, though...

I totally understand. Archer got put on the back burner for now anyhow. Trying to get my '91 swapped over then it's back to the yearly penance of summer house work. Closer towards winter, I'll probably get back to it. Maybe you'll run out of room by then and want it gone?

It's very possible.  I used to have virtually unlimited room in my old shop (8000 square foot barn), but my 24'x32' two-bay is a bit more cramped.  I've definitely gotten a lot more creative with how I store items.

I'm going to wind up pulling the engine/trans either this weekend or next and storing it in the make-shift lean-to on the side of my shop.  The only issue is that I've got plans to tear that lean-to down and build a third bay on the shop and I really don't want to be tripping over the engine while that's happening...I just don't know when that will happen...too many other priorities...

So, there is still a chance this AX-15 may wind up on your doorstep.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived