Wtb Dana 30 760/297X Outers

64 Cheyenne

From stuff I've collected when I was considering 4WD conversion:  All TJ's have 297's, all 97+ XJ's have 297's as well as most '96's, '95's with ABS have 297's, and there's a good chance if it's from '91-'94 with ABS it will have 297's as well. No guarantees but good source.....

I gave most of mine away since I moved to a D60, keeping one set of spares for my daughter's XJ, and one set left in the D30 I'm selling.

Would gladly take you up on the trade, but shipping to and from Montana would costs more than it's worth.

From stuff I've collected when I was considering 4WD conversion:  All TJ's have 297's, all 97+ XJ's have 297's as well as most '96's, '95's with ABS have 297's, and there's a good chance if it's from '91-'94 with ABS it will have 297's as well. No guarantees but good source.....

My D30 came from a '94 XJ with ABS and the 2.5L/5-speed.  I'm fairly confident they're 297's as they are noticeably bigger than the stock U's in my '88 XJ D30.  Just another win in addition to the 4.10's (which was the whole reason I pulled it :yes: ).

Sent Ed a set of axles from a '95 XJ. When I had them out and laying side by side I noticed one was longer than the other. To even them up I cut a foot off the longer one. Thanks for the Brew Ed. :yes:

Sent Ed a set of axles from a '95 XJ. When I had them out and laying side by side I noticed one was longer than the other. To even them up I cut a foot off the longer one. Thanks for the Brew Ed. :yes:

LMFAO,  only Jim could find the a way to solve a problem so simply... :rotfl2:

And thanks again Jim, I'm glad your a CC member, hope to meet you in person someday.

• 4 weeks later...

Well.... locker installed works great, superior U joints are Junk.

I was contemplating grinding the part where the clip fits into and use full circle clips....I should have :fs1:

When I put the axles together, I thought that the clip looked a little "loose" in the slot of the U joint cap, when I was showing off the front axle to a friend

I realised one of the caps were missing :fs1:
The U joint already trashed the outer, inner is ok.

So now I'm searching for a single or a set of 297X outers.

Kind of pissed me off the, Carquest guy told me that the Superior brand was "as good as Spicers"

yeah right....

So from now on its Spicers or nuthing. :doh:

The Spicer 5-760x are superior to anything else in their price range ($27). Next step up would be Alloy USA's chromoly ones for $50. These have a low profile grease fitting in each cap and come with both C clips and full circle clips. Next after that would be CTM for $239.

Another option around the problem with the C clips is to tack weld the caps in place so even if a clip come off, the cap stays in place. If the joint needs removed it only take s a minute to grind the welds off.