New Member Of The Team!

neohic

For years I enjoyed the company and weld-ability of my old machine. Sure, it was oversized and it was a bit of a pig when it came to spinning the meter, but it was awesome. She was amazing. She was beautiful. She was my Miller Syncrowave 300.

28070_344451285653741_650948191_n.jpg

Sadly, when I moved across the state over a year and a half ago now, I ran into a real pickle when it came to what made sense. She took up roughly the same space as a refrigerator, and I couldn't use it to all of its potential. When it came to power, I already ran a 100 amp sub panel out to my garage/shop. She wanted more! I could weld small parts, but when it came to anything that I really needed to hold it to the rugs all the lights would go out. It was sad day when it left and I guess I didn't truly realize how attached I was to it until it was leaving my shop without me. Whatever was to replace it had some big shoes to fill. It took some time, research, and plenty of arc time to decide what its replacement would be. I settled on one of these:

381496_410632129035656_623280033_n.jpg

That is the Thermal Arc 186 inverter. While I spent a lot of time reading online reviews, one can only buy a welder after using it first. Fortunately, working in a weld shop at a tech college has plenty of advantages when it comes to welding manufacturers dropping new technology and equipment. I tried comparable Millers and Lincolns... I even had a quick tryst with an ESAB. They all welded great! Then there was the Thermal Arc rep. I'd call it on par with the arc characteristics of the Miller Dynasty 200, but the Thermal Arc 186 comes in at about half price to the Miller. The settings were cool and, as an added bonus, I think it's even cute to look at!

I would go as far as calling myself quite the nerd when it comes to welding technology and I get excited when something new comes along that fills a need and can get the job done for a decent price. I had to have one... but, just like most things, I couldn't leave my new welder alone. I need options and specific hooks and brackets for everything rather than just letting the torch lead, ground cable, and foot control mingle together like some unorganized social gathering. I liked that my old Syncrowave had room to mount a water cooler, filler rod storage, and plenty of real estate to throw things on top. Now with a smaller machine, I had to get creative with all these things that I spoiled myself with. Here's what I came up with:

301909_410607502371452_650320213_n.jpg

I still need to get a new argon bottle, but I dig it. Sure, I could've built my own cart, but I liked the small footprint that it had and it wasn't all that much more to get the package including it. On to the modifications! Cables:

377264_410607592371443_1564682107_n.jpg

Ask any of my students that I absolutely hate it when leads and wires are just spilled everywhere. I think it looks a little messy, but when you're used to a 25' torch lead, and prefer a foot control you just can't live without them. My torch of choice has to be a water cooled unit as well just because of the smaller size. The cooler itself started life as an older Miller Radiator 1 that seemed to leak from everywhere that it could. It was ran for years on straight tap water so everything was all gummed up and crusty. The whole thing was taken apart, the main components cleaned, and then reincarnated as a deconstructed cooler.

374741_410607599038109_2046865100_n.jpg

551290_410607602371442_1845926559_n.jpg

164631_410607665704769_490013330_n.jpg

I love it! No, it isn't bulky yet cuddly like my old Miller, but it isn't supposed to be either. I like that it's modern and new and ready to be put to work!

485580_410607545704781_756423657_n.jpg

Forgive my ignorance, but is this TIG or MIG? It looks like a MIG box.. And whats with the water tank system? Is that to prolong the duty cycle?    And why didnt you go with one of the big three?

Its a tig/arc. Look in the first picture and you can see the tig torch

...And whats with the water tank system? ... And why didnt you go with one of the big three?

The water tank is there to keep the TIG torch cool. You can either go with an air cooled or a water cooled. The size difference between the two is that you can have the same amperage capacity to an air cooled in a smaller, easier to handle size.

Thermal Arc is a big part of the welding industry but you're right that it isn't a part of "the big three". That's not to say that it isn't a quality product.

just a curiosity, do you just arc and tig stuff together? Or do you have a mig hidden somewhere back there too? Need a good welder for a home setup..leaning towards a setup like your new one, but unsure at the moment.