Uss Alabama:

Sir Sam

Going to see that ship is on "the list" of things I want to do,

thanks for the pics!

Ithe USS New Jersey is in Camden, NJ. :thumbsup:

Going to see that ship is on "the list" of things I want to do,

thanks for the pics!

The Massachusetts, the Alabama's sister ship, is right down the road from you Jim. 

Thanks and thanks!!

I haven't seen the USS NJ, or Ma,

but those are on *the list* too!

We've been loosely planning a few different road trips to visit a bunch of  warships,

probably a few at a time.

I hope we can do atleast one family roadtrip "somewhere" this year.

while we are adding ships to tour, the USS Constitution in Boston is cool, and they also had a WWII era Destroyer docked across from it but, it was closed up for maintenance..

Edit: I can't find any of the pictures i had, i guess they where lost when my old laptop died.

always, always, always backup your photos! 

Normally They are backed up on Facebook and my desktop...  I have most of my pictures to Boston and New Hampshire but not all of them... this sucks, now I don't have proof that big foot is really just a giant squirrel.

Cool, how long are you in town?

Not sure exactly, might leave in the next day or two, or be around through the end of next week.

Y'all conducting smoke tests during the sea trails Sam?

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/04/15/burned-lcs-to-resume-testing.html?ESRC=navy.nl

Haha ya. I'm back in colorado because the sea trials are postponed until tentatively early May, hopefully I will get to go back for the second round. The short story of it is that while getting up towards a high power run we had some minor fires in the diesel engine rooms, first port, then starboard. Fires reflared, I got sunburned chilling on the helo deck. Apparently there were some design changes to the exhaust that changed airflow and therefor exhaust temps, they were monitoring deck temps and a bunch of other stuff, but some insulation caught fire(someone left some foam pipe insulation on top of the exhaust). They came up with a solution, but are implementing it now, it just means reworking some stuff.

We killed a day on standby thinking we would be doing more sea trials on saturday before they released us yesterday. Hopped on a plane and made it home at about 10:30. The good news is I got 40 hours at sea with 15% pay premium and 21 of those are OT with 15% premium. Woot! 30 hours of OT with 21 hours premium pay......gonna be a nice paycheck.

Haha ya. I'm back in colorado because the sea trials are postponed until tentatively early May, hopefully I will get to go back for the second round. The short story of it is that while getting up towards a high power run we had some minor fires in the diesel engine rooms, first port, then starboard. Fires reflared, I got sunburned chilling on the helo deck. Apparently there were some design changes to the exhaust that changed airflow and therefor exhaust temps, they were monitoring deck temps and a bunch of other stuff, but some insulation caught fire(someone left some foam pipe insulation on top of the exhaust). They came up with a solution, but are implementing it now, it just means reworking some stuff.

Looks like the exhaust design changes were fubar. Someone's gonna swing for that. Well, that's what sea trials and shakedown cruises are for. Enjoy the $$ Sam. Been on many sea trails in the past but as a crew member. No special pay, O/T, or other bennies for moi back then. Learned quickly where the $$ lay.   :yes:

Looks like the exhaust design changes were fubar. Someone's gonna swing for that. Well, that's what sea trials and shakedown cruises are for. Enjoy the $$ Sam. Been on many sea trails in the past but as a crew member. No special pay, O/T, or other bennies for moi back then. Learned quickly where the $$ lay.   :yes:

The changes were required by the Navy after the fact which meant they were outside of the expected design. The problem isn't so much in the exhaust as the space constraints/airflow around the exhaust, which is where the heat issues came up.

How do they remove the barrel, muzzle covers? Some how I can't imagine some swabby climbing up the barrel or a ladder to do it. That means either they lower the barrel so he can stand on the deck and do it, or they blow them off with the first round fired. Curious Land Lubbers want to know.