Front Locker Pro Vs Cons

A non disco front axle swap is easy to do. For me I went with the spartan because it was cheap and I expect to swap out the axle to another so I didn't want to spend too much money on the old D30.

The full time locker is ok but just not nice in the corners when the wheels are more fully locked as the u-joints bind up and cause a shake otherwise in 4wd it works great but pulls unpredictably in either direction. The selectable lockers are not much more then a full carrier locker. I would probably go auburn e-locker for the front if I were to keep the D30.

With no power going to the front axle the locker shouldnt be doing anything. I can't tell mine is there even in tight turns, I wonder if something is wrong with yours.

Why not just weld the spider gears and get that disconnect cable by Alloy USA?

By "disco" they mean front disconnect, front axles (at least stock Dana 30s) came with a vacuum disconnecting system to unlock the hubs. The vacuum hoses come out of a switch on the transfer case.

Because factory shafts for the disconnect axle with the stronger u joints are almost impossible to find, and aftermarket ones don't exist. You will be stuck with the piddly u joints that grenade even when running stock size tires with a locker.

Ask me how I know.

With no power going to the front axle the locker shouldnt be doing anything. I can't tell mine is there even in tight turns, I wonder if something is wrong with yours.

With "full time locker" I think he means a spool.

keep in mind that a full time locker in the front will make the front drive shaft turn all the time, make sure the u joints are good an the angle is good to prevent vibrations. I once installed a lockrite on a d30 with 410 gears and I had to remove the carrier out of the jeep, steering linkage had to be disconected fron one of the knuckles to get it out of the way in order for the carrier to come out and the ring gear had to come out - all for clearance so the lockrite could be installed, not a difficult job at all but it took a little bit longer that I had originally anticipated.

Welding the spiders is not a hack-job if done properly.  I ran welded front spiders on my CAD axle for years with no problems, on road and off.  The Jeep would climb just about anything it was pointed at.  I ran a manual disconnect (first manual vacuum switch, then cable) so I could run 3wd for the tight trail turns.  Poor-man's selectable locker IMO.

But to each their own, I wouldn't suggest it for just anybody.  You have to know what you're getting into.  

The steering should be upgraded with a cooler when using a front locker, the steering fluid really heats up on twisty trails.

keep in mind that a full time locker in the front will make the front drive shaft turn all the time, make sure the u joints are good an the angle is good to prevent vibrations. I once installed a lockrite on a d30 with 410 gears and I had to remove the carrier out of the jeep, steering linkage had to be disconected fron one of the knuckles to get it out of the way in order for the carrier to come out and the ring gear had to come out - all for clearance so the lockrite could be installed, not a difficult job at all but it took a little bit longer that I had originally anticipated.

Even with 3.55 gears the ring gear is too thick to allow the cross shaft to come out without removing the carrier to take the ring gear off.

Well its done.... Went with the Spartan and new carrier :thumbsup:  Rear swap should be done within the next few weeks. Will be completely locked with some gears finally. Those stock gears really hate 33's.  Guess axles are next in line. I really want a bumper and winch. But I think getting it running strong is first in line.      . :MJ 1: .

Yes I have a Spartan and It works just fine and there is nothing wrong with it,

But I have locking hubs so the locker has not seen enough use to get it worked in properly and that maybe why I feel it more then others..

Remember just because something works one way for one setup does not always mean it will work the same for all others as No too jeeps are the same...

Glad you made the decision and it is a decent product for the price point...